Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Post-apocalyptic Commune
7 February 2015, 21:05,
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune
Thanks for the comments. Steve, your approach makes sound sense. It's really about optimising your resources. If you're in good health and have the ability to continue working, it may make sense to do so.

We took a slightly different approach. I too carried on "working" in my previous role when we moved north. It was a case of inertia really. I was a freelance training consultant and the bookings just kept coming. However, having reduced our outgoings substantially, it did allow me to build up a nice cash reserve. About a year ago, I realised that the work was not giving me the time I needed to get the most from our woodland, so I decided to commit to the woodland full time. It essentially runs at a small loss by the time I have taken some living expenses out of it, so the cash reserve plugs the gap and keeps us on an even keel. It will keep us solvent for the nine years until retirement officially arrives! As there are only so many hours in the day, I had to decide whether more money was more important to us than continuing to disconnect ourselves from the financial system. I opted for the latter.

We're working to a ten-year plan to transform the woodland from what it is now (essentially a plantation yielding ornamental conifer foliage) to a mixed-species woodland supplying a variety of food and saleable products. After 10 years I aim to either lease it, or parts of it, as a demonstrated space in which to achieve a modest livelihood or, if the S has HTF, to enjoy the products of the woodland ourselves. Depends whether money or the woodland produce are more important to us at that time!

The ultimate aim will be to be in a position where, if a major economic or energy crisis hits, we won't even really notice. Just as your average subsistence farmer in rural Africa won't. I know this is idealistic, but it kind of sets our trajectory.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.

Messages In This Thread
The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by MaryN - 31 January 2015, 20:48
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by bigpaul - 1 February 2015, 09:36
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by BeardyMan - 1 February 2015, 10:33
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by Tarrel - 7 February 2015, 01:07
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by MaryN - 7 February 2015, 09:20
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by Tarrel - 7 February 2015, 11:21
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by Steve - 7 February 2015, 12:05
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by Tarrel - 7 February 2015, 21:05
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by Mortblanc - 8 February 2015, 18:36
RE: The Post-apocalyptic Commune - by Midnitemo - 8 February 2015, 20:23