Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defending my home against intruders
1 February 2015, 15:01, (This post was last modified: 1 February 2015, 15:04 by Sardo_Numpsa.)
Defending my home against intruders
Hey everyone,

I have not posted in a while. The last thing I posted was something along the lines of increases in automation technology meaning less demand for labour, and as most people have only their labour to sell to make a living people should start thinking about how to prepare for a future of few work opportunities. Apparently not much of a concern around here. Don't come asking me for a loan = ).

Anyway, I had an incident the other night where some kids were breaking into my neighbours house. A friend who is staying at my place saw them and shouted at them to piss off. They proceeded to pelt her and my house with stones for five minutes, hurting my friend (not seriously thankfully) and breaking four windows in the process. Double glazing, still waiting to hear from insurers.

So this has got me thinking what would happen if one of these brazen little buggers, or anybody else for that matter, broke into my house when myself, my wife and my kid were here. I am a skinny white dude nobody is going be alarmed by me rushing down the stairs in my pyjamas.

So I have been googling weapons for self-defence and I am thinking a Katana is the way to go. There have been changes in the law here and you cannot buy a blade over 50cm made prior to 1954. Some of these swords are very expensive but I have seen a few WWII era Katanas for £350'ish. A lot I know but what price can you put on safety, and they look badass.

From what I understand if you confront somebody in your house and as long as you don't use excessive force you are free to defend yourself and your family. Hopefully just the presence of a sword would be enough to scare somebody off, at the worst they may need a few stitches. Nobody need get seriously injured.

What are your thoughts? Impractical? Legally risky? Inefficient allocation of resources? Just crazy?

Edit: you cannot buy a blade over 50cm made *POST* 1954
1 February 2015, 15:28,
RE: Defending my home against intruders
having a sword or any other weapon is treated very seriously by the UK Police and will get you in a lot of trouble, the intruder in these cases becomes the victim.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 February 2015, 15:33, (This post was last modified: 1 February 2015, 15:35 by Sardo_Numpsa.)
Thanks for the reply.

Where did you get this info?

This is what I was afraid of. Although I did read that swords made pre-1954 are legal. I suppose they are considered collectors items.

So I would say I am I big fan of WWII artefacts, this dude broke into my house so I scared the shit out of him with the nearest scary object to hand.

You don't think they would by that?

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

There is a ban on the sale of some knives:

samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
1 February 2015, 15:50,
Unless you know how to handle a Sword correctly, you are a danger to yourself. They require training to use effectively, and you do need to learn the correct cutting technique. Without training in any situation you will end up swinging wildly as fear overtakes your lack of technique. If you really want to own a Sword seek out a club that trains in Iaido, Kendo or Kenjutsu. If you want to go down the European Sword school then seek out clubs that train in HEMA (historical European Martial Arts). Be prepared to spend some time learning the basics before you ever buy a Sword, I trained for a full year with a Wooden one before being allowed to use a "live" blade (sharp). This is not extreme as you can kill yourself, or injure yourself severley. Remember a sword is ALWAYS loaded and doesn't have a safety. Without training I do not recommend a Sword.
A Machete or a Baseball bat would be a good choice as they require little finesse or skill to use effectively.
1 February 2015, 15:53,
That sounds like good advice, thanks. No I can't be bothered to do any kind of training. Hadn't though of a machete, not as much reach but that might do the trick.
1 February 2015, 15:53,
to defend a modern home is very hard because their ... homes... not forts or castles .
todays home security relies on the person not wishing to be seen or herd breaking in take that away ie shtf no law and order and you are f^^ked
so you need to make as hard as you can to break in while still keeping it as a home.
good strong front and back doors smash proof glass in windows and lockable doors in the home to give you time.

as for weapons stick to legal stuff that still hurts , large mag lite in your bedroom is ok , jiff lemon in the kitchen , squirt in eyes lots of pain but no long term damage.
Survive the jive (youtube )
1 February 2015, 15:58,
(1 February 2015, 15:33)Sardo_Numpsa Wrote: Thanks for the reply.

Where did you get this info?

This is what I was afraid of. Although I did read that swords made pre-1954 are legal. I suppose they are considered collectors items.

So I would say I am I big fan of WWII artefacts, this dude broke into my house so I scared the shit out of him with the nearest scary object to hand.

You don't think they would by that?

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

There is a ban on the sale of some knives:

samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)

there have been several cases of this in the recent past, having a weapon in readiness is classed I think the same as "going equipped" and would see you being prosecuted not the intruder, the intruder could sue you for any injury caused, I know its stupid but that's the way the law seems to look at it. you can use "reasonable force" which dosent include a weapon but any defence must stop at the front gate, you cannot go chasing them down the street, again this would be classed as an offence.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 February 2015, 16:01,
Reasonable force doesn't include a weapon....I am at a loss for words.
1 February 2015, 16:08,
(1 February 2015, 16:01)Sardo_Numpsa Wrote: Reasonable force doesn't include a weapon....I am at a loss for words.
lets say if you were an old lady and had a walking stick by your chair you would use that, its not a weapon, its something you use. if you were chopping some veg in your kitchen and heard a noise of breaking glass you'd run in to see what happened and you might still have that kitchen knife in your hand, but having a loaded gun, or a baseball bat by your bed, just in case, would probably get you in trouble, maybe.
1 February 2015, 16:18,
large c or d cell Maglite...primary use is a torch and that is why you had it too hand when your assailants cut up rough and you whilst in fear for your safety used what you had available to subdue them....perfect for the scenario you outlined.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!