Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
a bear drops in.
14 February 2015, 17:35,
a bear drops in.
bear drops in to tv station as only he can , but is bear past his sell by date ,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...rview.html
or can we still learn from his tv shows.
his recent shows with celebs in the wild I didn't even bother to watch seemed a load of c**p to me.

what do you think...Smile
Survive the jive (youtube )
14 February 2015, 20:30,
RE: a bear drops in.
i like him ,think he has a lot to offer
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 February 2015, 04:16,
I have always considered Bear the kind of person that would do some thing to hurt you, or got you hurt, and then walked away with no concern after deciding you were too weak to keep up.

Acting a stupid fool, or implying others do so, has no place in a survival situation.
15 February 2015, 05:45,
Said it before, the techniques Bear teaches are gonna get someone killed
Winter is coming
15 February 2015, 12:07, (This post was last modified: 15 February 2015, 12:10 by Devonian.)
(15 February 2015, 05:45)Hex Wrote: Said it before, the techniques Bear teaches are gonna get someone killed

Bear is an entertainer, most of the programmes that I've seen him in are where he is out and about solo, rather than "teaching" others, so if he behaved like Barney or myself would, then it would probably be pretty boring TV!

The exceptions being 'The Island' where again he was 'not' teaching, but acting as a commentator/expert away from the participants; or the series where he went walk about with the likes of Ben Stiller and Steven Fry, in that series you can see how he was taking extra safety precautions to safeguard the celeb....

Also on the this morning video which Sunna has linked, just look at how staged the whole incident was, when looking at the outside of the window, you can clearly see how the original window has been taken out and rebuilt to allow him to safely crash through (the sugar glass).

If it helps, just think of him as a stuntman!

As for his last series with the celebs in the wild, I enjoyed it, not because I learned lots of new survival stuff, but because it was well filmed, entertaining and showed me new places and situations. I particularly liked the Isle of Skye edition with it being UK centric and having never been there before - but it is now a place that I would like to visit and explore.

Will I watch the new programme?

Yes of course I will, as well as being a survivalist/prepper, I also an avid hill/trail walker and I just love the outdoors. So to me it will be good steady entertainment and yes I may even learn something new, my mind certainly isn't closed to that possibility and I believe we can all learn something new everyday........
15 February 2015, 12:13,
BG is an accident waiting to happen and is the last person I want near me when SHTF.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 February 2015, 12:46,
I think bear is good at getting folk thinking about survival problems and with ray they lead many to the different forums ,but now many of those same folk have moved on to the next new trendy thing , cooking , home diy ect.
that's why I think many of the forums have become quiet as for bears survival skills , climbing up a rock face with no rope , jumping off a cliff into a tree , you know the sort of stuff I mean , this I believe leads to the Rambo , big knife dimwits who were around for a while but seem to have died off [thank god] but his shows are watched by many kids who love it , but as others have said at what cost its only a matter of time until some kid trys one of his stunts
Survive the jive (youtube )
15 February 2015, 13:24,
There has been (at least) one death from someone trying to live like Bear:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/adventurer-...-1-2069431

But I wonder how many people have killed themselves in cars trying to copy Top Gear Stunts; or those who think they are 007......
15 February 2015, 16:00,
Bear Grylls is just entertainment....needs to be Ray Mears if you want to learn something or my very favourite bush tucker man but he doesn't really relate to us in the north of the northern hemisphere.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
15 February 2015, 17:10,
I like Bear. Very well trained, exceptionally good as what he does (not just tv) seems like a very nice chap.

Would I do the things he does that look dangerous. No, but only cause I'm not as strong or agile. He can't be as dangerous to himself as everyone makes out or he'd be dead or crippled by now.