S H T F guard dog
3 March 2015, 12:00,
S H T F guard dog
wow a guard dog that's 12 stone at 18 months old and still growing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...rides.html
eating 4lbs of beef a day.

want one...

could you afford one...

but the big question is how far will this go ,just how big are these sort of dogs going to get and what happens when it goes wrong.
Survive the jive (youtube )
3 March 2015, 12:09,
RE: S H T F guard dog
I don't even eat 4lbs of meat a day, more like 4 ounces!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 March 2015, 12:49,
He's a big boy isn't he! And I thought Winston was big at 8 stone 5.

Not allowed to have them over here as they're perceived as dangerous. But we'll allow jihadis over here with open arms... Rolleyes

I want one (the dog, not a jihadi)
3 March 2015, 14:37,
if they keep breeding for size , where will it end and banned or not I see pit bull type dogs all the time around here.
Survive the jive (youtube )
3 March 2015, 15:36,
I imagine its gonna wind up as a source of meat pretty quickly after tshtf being difficult to keep fed after an event.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
3 March 2015, 15:54,
(3 March 2015, 15:36)Midnitemo Wrote: I imagine its gonna wind up as a source of meat pretty quickly after tshtf being difficult to keep fed after an event.

I think that dog would be able to feed itself pretty easily... something that big wouldn't struggle in devouring an adult. An unarmed adult/child wouldn't stand a chance against that.

Although if he did end up on the dinner table he'd keep you fed for a while!

Yeah, you may see dogs that look similar, but there are pit-bull breeds that are illegal to own over here. Not sure if you can get round that with a special license or something. Some people end up with them unknowingly and only find out they're a banned breed when they go to the vets.

Beautiful animal though.
3 March 2015, 16:39,
I wouldn't take the chance with something like that around, especially if I had kids! something like that could take your face off any time it liked. no thanks, i'll stick to the smaller and trusted breeds thank you very much.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 March 2015, 19:34,
You must look at breeds of dogs from an historical context and extend that to SHTF situations.

The breeds of large guard dogs were kept by wealthy and powerful people who could afford to feed their dogs and the dogs ate better than the villains.

In turn those dogs kept the peasants from stealing inside the castle or town walls and helped track down run away villains who tried to escape into the forest and live off poaching the Lords' game in "lone wolf" fashion.

The dogs of the peasants were not pets, they were small breed rat and vermin catchers that could feed themselves. Peasants would not have been allowed a guard dog.

There were very strict laws back in the day concerning what dogs which people could own.

History repeats itself.
3 March 2015, 20:41,
"Escaped" guard dog is important protein source....

Traditional Native American culture surrounding the consumption of dog meat varied from tribe to tribe among the original inhabitants of North America, with some tribes relishing it as a delicacy, and others (such as the Comanche) treating it as a forbidden food. Native peoples of the Great Plains, such as the Sioux and Cheyenne, consumed it, but there was a concurrent religious taboo against the meat of wild canines. During their 1803–1806 expedition, Meriwether Lewis and the other members of the Corps of Discovery consumed dog meat, either from their own animals or supplied by Native American tribes, including the Paiutes and Wah-clel-lah Indians, a branch of the Watlatas, the Clatsop,the Teton Sioux (Lakota), the Nez Perce Indians, and the Hidatsas. Lewis and the members of the expedition ate dog meat, except William Clark, who reportedly could not bring himself to eat dogs. The Kickapoo people include puppy meat in many of their traditional festivals. This practice has been well documented in the Works Progress Administration "Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma".

In 1846, a group of 87 American pioneers were stranded by snow while traveling in the Sierra Nevada. Some of the starving people from this group, known posthumously as the Donner Party, ate a pet dog for sustenance.

In the late 19th century, a cure for tuberculosis (then colloquially termed "consumption") using an exclusive diet of dog meat was tried.[28] Reports of families eating dog meat out of choice, rather than necessity, were rare and newsworthy. Stories of families in Ohio and Newark, New Jersey who did so made it into editions of The New York Times in 1876 and 1885.

In the early 20th century, dog meat was commonly consumed during times of meat shortage.

Dogs have historically been emergency food sources for various peoples in Siberia, northern Canada, and Greenland. Sled dogs are usually maintained for pulling sleds, but occasionally are eaten when no other food is available. British explorer Ernest Shackleton and his Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition became trapped, and ultimately killed their sled dogs for food. Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen was known to have eaten sled dogs during his expedition to the South Pole. By eating some of the sled dogs, he required less human or dog food, thus lightening his load. When comparing sled dogs to ponies as draught animals he also notes:

"...there is the obvious advantage that dog can be fed on dog. One can reduce one's pack little by little, slaughtering the feebler ones and feeding the chosen with them. In this way they get fresh meat. Our dogs lived on dog's flesh and pemmican the whole way, and this enabled them to do splendid work. And if we ourselves wanted a piece of fresh meat we could cut off a delicate little fillet; it tasted to us as good as the best beef. The dogs do not object at all; as long as they get their share they do not mind what part of their comrade's carcass it comes from. All that was left after one of these canine meals was the teeth of the victim – and if it had been a really hard day, these also disappeared."

Daily NK reported that the North Korean government included dog meat in its new list of one hundred fixed prices, setting a fixed price of 500 won per kilogram in early 2010.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
3 March 2015, 22:42,
If you want a dog that wants to fight other dogs then a pit bull is about as good as it gets - although quite why you would want that is beyond me. It's bred for it.

If you want a dog to round up your sheep buy a border collie. It's bred for it.

If you want a dog to retrieve shot game buy a spaniel. It's bred for it.

If you want a dog to protect you or your family buy a doberman. It's bred for it.

Horses for courses ( or dogs, anyway ).