Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
psychological trauma
4 March 2015, 12:44,
psychological trauma
acute stress reaction or shock to most of us , have you ever given this any thought as a doorman I saw many people go into shock over fights or seeing a friend / girlfriend / wife in a fight get injured also I saw my fair share of doormen get it after the same sort of things happening.
shock can lead to ...

confusion

hysteria

having no ability to cope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_stress_reaction

now x that by 100....

people seeing tshtf....

their friends family dead or dieing ...

over night no law and order...

no power or water

we all know the stuff im on about.

so question how are you and yours going to cope plus the public with their world falling apart in front of them.

psychological trauma / shock
Survive the jive (youtube )
4 March 2015, 12:51,
RE: psychological trauma
expect the suicide rate to sky rocket in the event of TSHTF, not many of the general population will cope.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 March 2015, 17:39,
it'll sort itself out one way or another....while grim stuff is happening you will "normalise" after seeing enough of it , it's the readjusting should we have a recovery in fortunes that will be when the problem really comes home to roost.....when its happening you will either ignore it and crack on or you will have a big meltdown and quit.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
4 March 2015, 18:11,
Psychological trauma, or having the $h!# scared out of you in layman's terms.

Reactions are usually based on past experiences and training.

In fact, training is considered the key to overcoming these meltdowns/lock ups/panic attacks in troops and trauma teams.

My unit once came under fire while I was asleep. I do not remember the initiation of the action because when my mind came on line and caught up with my body there were already two empty magazines on the ground at my firing position. We had done reaction drills until I could actually do them in my sleep in combat.

It is the same with injuries. When you see repeated trauma your discussion of the event afterwards changes. It is not "DID YOU SEE THAT!!!!", it turns into "Sucking chest wound, through and through shot, we got him 'evaced in time, he'll make it".

It is the reason drills go on and on and on in training until you think you will go mad from the repetition. It is that training that will kick in when the mind is numb or desensitized.
4 March 2015, 18:15,
not everyone on this forum has undergone military training, I think the OP was talking about the ordinary person in the street.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 March 2015, 18:20,
shell shock it was called in ww1 , no idea on ww2 , their seem plenty who have come back from recent gulf wars and afganistan with p t s d.

joe public that survives an event will be skrewed up for years after , want to build a new world with them...?
Survive the jive (youtube )
4 March 2015, 18:22,
your ordinary unprepared "Joe Public" will last about 5 minutes past SHTFBig Grin
4 March 2015, 19:09,
Riding the Dilbert Dunker repeatedly in the dark until you finally get it right is almost as good as the damage control training at Great Lakes Navel Training Center. Something about dark and being quickly submerged in cold water still does it to me.

Sure paid off years later when I had to evac out of a sinking car when a hit a patch of black ice one night and went into a pond. I never did like my wife's Chevy Nova anyway and was glad to be finally rid of it. I drove the 1984 Jeep Cherokee that replaced it until 2000. I'm still driving the 200 model....

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 March 2015, 19:25, (This post was last modified: 4 March 2015, 19:32 by Midnitemo.)
you never know what people are made of till you test there mettle....I've been surprised by people enough to no longer judge but wait and see.

I'd like to think the youngsters in my group will be able to just shrug off any horrors they encounter by dint of there ceaseless exposure to evermore graphic video games , tv and films......but as I said before it remains to be seen come the day.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
4 March 2015, 19:59,
I've been exposed to bits of human body before (suicides involving trains only leave bits) but not sure how I'd react to seeing anybody killed in front of me. I threatened to smash my mates phone who I work with as he watched that pilot being burned alive by isis & held the screen up to show me for a split second. I hate seeing suffering, human or animal. I don't mind being labelled a wimp, soft or any similar names. That said, put my family in danger & I'll want to see you really suffer.