Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What common calibres are in the UK?
3 April 2015, 13:38,
RE: What common calibres are in the UK?
I read your article and it is good for your situation.

As a prepper one must recognize and address the fact that whether one likes it or not the 12gauge is the king of shotgun calibers. Any other gauge is just an addition to the main survival gun, which should be a 12 gauge.

I did a search and could not find a list of the sales of rifle cartridges in the UK. The manufacturers may put one out but I could not find it. Over here the manufacturers put out lists of their most sold calibers, which helps with this type planning. It has meant that I own a couple of sets of reloading dies I normally would not have, and it also means that I own a couple of guns I would not own, except for that list.

Die sets are cheap insurance and I would suggest that every reloading prepper own at least a set of .308/7.62x51 dies and a bullet mold in .308. That is going to be one of the top 5 rifle calibers in the UK without question. Every gamekeeper on the island has a .308. (as well as every armed military unit having .308/7.62 for use in machine guns) Having the set is no different for a reloader than any prepper having a propane camp stove as back up for their main cooker.

I would suggest that you look into obtaining a universal neck sizer die in 30 caliber. I think Hornady makes one. Mine is 40 years old and was bought from a company now defunct.

This will allow you to reload any .308-.303 caliber cartridge you encounter without needing specific die sets for each individual caliber. At one time they were available in .22/6mm/7mm/308/303.

There is also the possibility of using reloading dies from one caliber to reload another.

Just like reloading .357 with .38 special dies by backing the die out of the press .100", the same thing can be accomplished by using a set of .308 dies to reload 30-06. One can also use a set of 7.62x54 Russian dies to reload the .303 Enfield. Yes it will work, I have done it for years. I have even reloaded 35 Remington rifle cartridges using .38spl pistol reloading dies.

I would also recommend that every reloading "prepper" acquire a bullet mold for casting their own slugs no matter what the caliber, freeing oneself from the ties of production in that area.

Small rifle/large rifle primers are a universal component, some powders overlap many calibers, but the projectiles are quite specific. Having a bullet mold frees you up a little bit. With the mold, small bits of lead and tire weights become good quality projectiles.

Over here we are having a long term shortage of .22lr, and what we can find has become expensive. I have completely abandoned the .22lr cartridge for target, hunting or plinking. I now use reduced power cast bullet reloads in my .223/5.56 rifles for the purposes once filled by the .22lr.

As for the disassembly of loaded rounds??? How would they ever know? After the rounds are broken down into their parts they are just a pile of primers, powder and bullets.

Salvaging components from useless calibers to reload the ones I do have is a serious part of my long term resupply plan. I have several pieces of reloading equipment made just for that purpose.

Always remember that in a true SHTF situation where rule of law has dissolved all these legal restrictions that defy common sense are suspended. Components can and will be interchanged as needed, if you know how. 20 and 16 gauge shells will be broken down for the primers, powder and shot to make 12 gauge loads when they are needed. Primers, powder and slugs from 9mm rounds will be salvaged for your 38/357....

Messages In This Thread
RE: What common calibres are in the UK? - by Mortblanc - 3 April 2015, 13:38
RE: What common calibres are in the UK? - by Phil - 10 March 2017, 17:00
RE: What common calibres are in the UK? - by Phil - 12 March 2017, 18:56