Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed Shooting
3 May 2015, 19:39,
RE: Speed Shooting
The fastest way to get arrows off is to hold the arrows in the bow hand.You'll never get the same sort of speed if you first have to take an arrow out of the quiver.
As far as I know European archery was never geared towards speed shooting like the eastern horseback archers.

Western archery was more geared towards shooting en mass against an oncoming army and creating the arrow storm.There's also the likely hood of you losing power,accuracy and penetration as speed shooting means you may not be pulling back to a full draw and giving you're self enough time to really get on target,unless of course you're as skilled as Lajos Kassai.

That's not to say you can't get arrows downrange pretty damn fast from a quiver and a full draw,you can but it will never match the speed of a skilled eastern archer using a thumb ring and holding his spare arrows in his bow hand.
I've found no info on historical speed shooting in the western style,and to be honest the internets so flooded with Lar's bullĀ£$%& that even finding historical info on eastern speed shooting is a trawl.
War archery was usually either western styled en mass at a body of men or eastern horse/chariot archery which was a much faster mobile style and bloody impressive to watch a skilled archer recreate.
And unless you're shooting at a herd of Buffalo from horseback speed shooting makes no sense for hunting.

Well I'm guessing that ramble was absolutely no help to youBlush.Hopefully Tartar can chime in and fill in anything I missed.

Messages In This Thread
Speed Shooting - by John - 3 May 2015, 15:51
RE: Speed Shooting - by Talon - 3 May 2015, 17:22
RE: Speed Shooting - by John - 3 May 2015, 18:42
RE: Speed Shooting - by Talon - 3 May 2015, 19:39
RE: Speed Shooting - by Tartar Horde - 3 May 2015, 23:05
RE: Speed Shooting - by John - 4 May 2015, 07:16
RE: Speed Shooting - by Steve - 4 May 2015, 09:21