Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surviving 10, 20 or more years after SHTF
14 May 2015, 17:12,
RE: Surviving 10, 20 or more years after SHTF
In some ways John it might be worth looking at some of the Transition movements ideas if you are talking long term survival of communities in that they aim to develop sustainable communities that meet their needs as locally as possible, weather it be locally grown food to small scale local power generation, not exactly prepping for a shtf situation more a cushioning the effects of peak oil, but still some interesting ideas and projects.
8 May 2017, 15:59,
The suggestion that in the event of such a collapse we would all go back to the 15th century or earlier seems to me to over look all the trials the human race has weathered in the past.
Even if the event was worldwide it would fail to wipe out completely all knowledge.
Certainly in the first world there are numerous museums stacked with products from previous ages,most of which still function,and could be copied.
Libraries are chockfull of history and how to do things type books,so if you can read you can learn,provided you will apply yourself.
If you are unable physically to do the work required you should be able to assist by encouragement someone else or a group to do so.
8 May 2017, 17:15,
Stock up on books NOW before all the libraries are shut down. Stock up on electronic books too, you can store over a thousand on a bog standard Kindle...these are very easy to keep charged. I've downloaded several thousand books, not even looked at most of them but I have them.

Are you familiar the the 'Dummies' range of books, I downloaded over 300 of them, most are worthless to me but some are a good source of education.

Look at old books at

https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page lots of old free books full of useful data.
ATB
Harry
9 May 2017, 20:57,
Cheers one of my favourite sites.
21 May 2017, 10:08,
2 pertinent youtube channels - you're probably aware of these anyway, but just in case:

1) Primitive Technology. This guy has rightly achieved godly-chuck-norris status.

2) Jas. Townsend.
21 May 2017, 18:39,
#1 is not a link, it is not even a name.

And no one is equal in status to Chuck Norris. I am surprised that Chuck has not already knocked on your door to clear this misunderstanding up.

And you guys that are stocking up on books rather than learning skills, just remember to read the books from back to front. All the good stuff is in the back and you will be dead before you get to that part if you start at the front!
21 May 2017, 22:28,
Well i you tubed it and got straight in MB ....but you are correct he is no chuck Norris ....this guy is much better and he does't even talk ....but his hands and brain most certainly DO.
22 May 2017, 17:51,
What did you You-tube? All I have is two words, "primitive technology" with no title, channel or name attached.

You-tube search of "primitive technology" over here in the US will get you about half million selections to choose from.

How do I know when I have hit the correct one? Do I just look for the only one with an RP accent?
22 May 2017, 18:34,
Can someone whom is capable of copying a link from Youtube please do so for MB just type in primitive technology .....you will see a guy on his own doing and preforming some amazing stuff ....from Scratch with Nothing ...... yeah NOTHING ....MB you will LOVE this guy ...right up your street ...make no mistake .....def your cup of tea ! .....so come on someone step up to the plate !
23 May 2017, 21:03,
No I hadn't heard of him, thanks for the heads up, a pretty amazing guy.

MB, link for you below:

m.youtube.com/results?q=primitive%20technology&sm=1