Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will tech really die?
15 June 2015, 10:11, (This post was last modified: 15 June 2015, 10:55 by bigpaul.)
RE: Will tech really die?
that's where we differ my friend, I believe the event will be much harder in impact-whether its slow or fast the result will be the same..a large die off of the unprepared majority, it dosent matter if they are chippies, plumbers or policemen, once the power goes down that will be the end of everything, no fuel, no water or sewage, no food deliveries to the shops once its gone its gone and its never coming back. like I keep saying, a slow collapse will last longer and whilst it might leave more people alive any resources that are left from food and clothing upwards will result in said resources being more widely spread, whilst a fast collapse(my personal favourite as you so rightly say)whilst leaving less survivors would mean greater resources for the limited numbers of people. most people these days would not, nor do not want to, survive without electricity, its too much of a culture shock for them, although the first electricity pylon was not erected in this country until 1928 or less than 100 years ago. groups are good if you can organise such but I don't believe this is possible for most, especially prior to the event and post event I'm not sure its safe or desireable, having said that a "community" of some sort will be inevitable given humans overwhelming need for "social" contact.

I do not live in a "crappy" area, compared to some places this is a rural paradise, I'm almost "bugged out" already because of my location, the parish population is about 2,000(it increased recently because of the occupation of a new site on the opposite side of the area) but where it falls down is because 99% of the population are daily "commuters" this place(especially this side of the river) is like a ghost town during the daytime!! that suits me but if a sudden event happens I wonder if many of those commuters would ever return especially if there was a lack of fuel like in the fuel protests of a few years ago.

also we live in a "just in time" society where we are "3 days from anarchy", most people(sheeple) are oblivious of this and I can imagine what the panic will be like WHEN any event happens, most of your resources will be destroyed within a few days-a week at most by those same people who never put anything back for a rainy day.

you have youth and innocence on your side, and you still probably believe in the goodness of people, whearas "Mr. Grumpy"(me) has had a lifetimes experience of people and I know how stupid and nasty they can be.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 June 2015, 19:07,
I see benefits in both arguments...but will one fits all ....do it ...no... i do not believe its even possible ...you should do what you feel is right for your circumstance ......however if you can pick up useful stuff from different points of view great ! the site is doing the job its meant to......help you !
15 June 2015, 20:33,
"Tech" will not die, it was born in the industrial revolution and cannot be unborn. The knowledge will not be unlearned, the tools will not unforge themselves, the lathes will not self-destruct. Millions of miles of copper cable and millions of tons of steel will not melt back into the Earth.

A modern 10 year old can construct devices that the smartest, best funded scientists in the world couldn't build 200 years ago - such is knowledge.
16 June 2015, 08:16,
(15 June 2015, 20:33)Steve Wrote: "Tech" will not die, it was born in the industrial revolution and cannot be unborn. The knowledge will not be unlearned, the tools will not unforge themselves, the lathes will not self-destruct. Millions of miles of copper cable and millions of tons of steel will not melt back into the Earth.
no your right it wont, but what it will do is get used up.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 June 2015, 08:42,
(16 June 2015, 08:16)bigpaul Wrote:
(15 June 2015, 20:33)Steve Wrote: "Tech" will not die, it was born in the industrial revolution and cannot be unborn. The knowledge will not be unlearned, the tools will not unforge themselves, the lathes will not self-destruct. Millions of miles of copper cable and millions of tons of steel will not melt back into the Earth.
no your right it wont, but what it will do is get used up.

How will it get used up?

Millions of miles of easily accessible cables and a massively reduced population with less need for such items?
16 June 2015, 08:47, (This post was last modified: 16 June 2015, 08:48 by bigpaul.)
it might not be used for its original purpose but it will get used for something.

in any case, I thought all you "techies" would be setting up wind turbines and solar electric systems? or is that just wishful thinking.
16 June 2015, 09:51,
(16 June 2015, 08:47)bigpaul Wrote: it might not be used for its original purpose but it will get used for something.

in any case, I thought all you "techies" would be setting up wind turbines and solar electric systems? or is that just wishful thinking.

I am. Going solar, and wind (small scale to start…oddly using an alternator from a scrappy), and I'm playing around with the wind (as it's a self build) to try the theory of water. If it works with wind, water should work too. I remember a really helpful post about waterwheels from NR…probably posted around 2 years ago, about efficiency of water systems and waterwheel locations/positioning in relation to the flow. Very helpful. So providing I can get the alternator to pump up a little, I'll make a pinwheel style system as a mini trial for the waterwheel, and then I'll try and attach the alternator to the turbo trainer and see what I can pump out with that.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 June 2015, 10:15,
friend in Somerset(the one with the straw bale house) has a small waterwheel and a small residential wind turbine and its enough for the room lights and her computer-for a few hours every day.
16 June 2015, 10:16,
(16 June 2015, 08:47)bigpaul Wrote: it might not be used for its original purpose but it will get used for something.

Not really a techie Wink but yes the solar is all sorted, that really is easy.

Wind is not something I've really looked at in any detail - but I should Undecided
16 June 2015, 10:21,
wind is something we get aplenty in this part of the country, along with the rainBig Grin