Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantasist Prepper?
15 June 2015, 13:41,
Fantasist Prepper?
Are you a fantasist prepper?

We often hear about amazing preppers that have scaled Everest, built their own fort, and stockpiled 100 years worth of ammo. Cool. But the question is…really?

I've met people from all walks of life that have said things like "Yeah, I've ran a 10K in 45 minutes" and others that have said "I love running 10K's" when it turns out the former can't complete a 10K currently, and the latter can run it in 37 minutes (my brother in law for example). The same with many other things. I've met guys whom have told me all about their shooting ability, only to find they can't shoot for toffee, and others that have said they 'potter around with air rifles' but can handle themselves really well with a .22lr, shotgun, and even one guy who said he shoots occasionally (turns out the bugger is training for 2020 Olympics).

At the Dartmoor meets, people like McCavity have turned up openly accepting little experience and having read stuff, and have developed and done well. Going from beginner sentences and lessons like "If you have smoke you have fire, if you know what to do", to being happily capable of making up a fire by himself with minimal equipment when I buggered off to pick up stuff from a shop. I was well impressed to come back to find them with a nice little fire roaring away.

I have spoken to preppers that have told me stories about other preppers that have made me cringe and wince. Like people having shot amazing grouping…when they don't even have a gun. Or saying about their stores of food, when their cupboards are bare.

I know of people who are planning their lives around the world going tits up in their lifetimes, and other planning on the smaller events that would still effect them, e.g. unemployment, and smaller medical emergencies. What you prep for is up to you, and that's your things, go for it.

A few questions that it's always worth asking ourselves though, can we put what we know into practice? For example, we all speak about making water filters from stones, sand, charcoal and the alike, but have you actually done it? Can you filter the water you need? Can you make a working solar still? If yes, then how much water did you get from it in what time period? If you don't know this, how are you going to know how many, or how long they'll take to provide you with enough water for a day, or a week?

Think of it like this. In this example I need 1 litre of water to survive today, so I'll make a solar still. Can I make a solar still? YES. How much water will it produce over night……? Will I need more than 1 solar still? How big will one still need to be to get 1 litre? How many will I need of what size to get 1 litre of water? Suddenly theory (knowing how to build a solar still) is proven to mean absolutely sod all!!! Congratulations you can make a solar still, but you only made one and it didn't provide you with enough water, and now you've died of thirst. That sucks hu?

What about shooting a rabbit and cooking it? What about a deer? Have you ever shot a deer and killed it with a bow and arrow (it's illegal in the UK, but the US can facilitate that lesson for you)? Do you know where to place the arrow to put it down in 1 shot? I'll ask the forum's American Contingent if they can help answer a few quick questions, how long does it take to kill a deer with a bow and arrow? Could you just walk into the woods with a bow and arrow, or does it take a crap load of practice, does shot placement matter? To really help answer this question for those planning to go into the woods and bring out a deer with a bow and arrow, again asking the USA preppers, how many deers have you shot and found arrow heads lodged inside the deer? For all UK preppers, this will give you an idea of how it's not as easy as you think. If you have shot a deer, does it always drop dead straight away, or do you have to blood-trail track it sometimes? It's not as easy as films make it out to be.

What about snaring? This is from my own personal experience, 80% of what the books say it totally bollocks. Everyone says "Place snares 4 finger's height from the floor." I used to believe this and defend it. Then I picked up a DVD recommended to me by a hunter I really look up to, and it totally went against what the books have said. I didn't trust it, but decided to try it. If I said I caught 3 times as many rabbits, I'd be lying. In one night alone, with 12 snares, I had 7 rabbits. While before I was lucky if I had caught 2 with 12 snares. Please note, my hit ratio is not always that good, but since learning from a tried and tested source, I've really improved my performance and catch ratio. The thing is, it still look me ages to catch a single rabbit from when I first started snaring, even though I was doing exactly what the books said.

The gap between theoretical 'ability' and actual practiced 'ability' is MASSIVE! You cannot learn to swim, cycle, drive a car, or fly a plane from just reading a book. So why would any practical prepping things be any different? This applies just as much to myself as to anyone else. I learned the difference when I decided to practice the things I've read. Making a rocket stove isn't as easy as youtube makes it seem. Making cobb isn't as easy. Fleshing a fox isn't as easy. Building shelters, shooting guns, planting crops, identifying plants (no joke, try it without all the books and see what you really know), and all the rest of the practical skills are not as easy in reality.

If you really want to put it into perspective on how dangerous 'book smarts' as opposed to real life saving situations are…consider the severity of stitching a wound, abseiling a building, getting the wrong mushrooms or herbs, not catching any food, not getting enough water, not purifying water correctly, not making a fire when you're facing hyperthermia, not understanding medical doses, not knowing how or when to use an epipen, not knowing how to do CPR, and things like that.

I'm sorry to say, but if you have book smarts and have not practiced any of the skills you'll need to survive, you need to ask yourself whether you're a skilled or practicing prepper, or just a fantasist.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 June 2015, 13:49, (This post was last modified: 15 June 2015, 14:04 by bigpaul.)
RE: Fantasist Prepper?
I am beginning to learn that anyone can be what they like on "social media", it isn't necessarily "real life".....and usually isn't.

whats that old saying? oh yes: " if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is" !!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 June 2015, 17:12, (This post was last modified: 15 June 2015, 17:33 by Midnitemo.)
Me I'm a fantasist.....in my minds eye I'm a cross between Rambo and bush tuckerman(met him in Perth...another fantasy sadly) preparedness comes in all shapes and sizes and mean's all manner of thing's to all and sundry....yes we all know or have had dealings with walter mitty types and keyboard commando's but that's just a sad fact of the internet...people have personality disorders and low self esteem just got to have your bullshit radar turned up to full.

I'm of home now to count my bottles of Evian and pot noodles...sorryBlush I meant my mountains of food and lake of stored water...lol
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
15 June 2015, 18:18,
In a world dominated by information transfer by electronics, and coming out of a 500 year period where the basic transfer was by book, it is difficult for many people to understand that the basic survival skills used by humans to stay alive for 200,000 years (some say longer) was done face to face, knee to knee, with the experienced teacher showing the learner exactly what to do by word and example.

We reinforce the problem by viewing education only by what came from the books and how well one tests out on the knowledge in the books.

It is a very short step from that action to deciding that as long as one has the books he has the knowledge, and therefore, the ability.

Real permeates all of life, even during "normalcy". Ask any business owner if he has hired certified, licensed, degreed people that didn't know squat.
15 June 2015, 18:44,
Looks like i am half n half going through the list, don,t go running for example, don,t practice enough for sure...what would be the point of bullshit ? when you bullshit yourself the most ? ....i have only ever met BP....once....but i trust him 100%.....he would be welcome at my place ANY TIME....he could even check me out and see what i get up to ....i have no problem with that....and he could have access and see all i have and hidden away....and so could some others i trust....and i can assure you all , anyone could see my shit load of short comings as well.
15 June 2015, 18:50,
Monster Munch sorts the do'ers from the dreamers.
15 June 2015, 19:41,
Over here it's Twinkies;

[Image: DSCF1309_zpsjgnisydp.jpg]
15 June 2015, 20:08,
I admit, I know sod all.

But slowly, trying to know a bit more.

If things went wrong now, I'd hopefully be in a better state that the Sheeple, but not by much.
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
15 June 2015, 21:36, (This post was last modified: 15 June 2015, 21:38 by Midnitemo.)
cash rich(sort of)time poor....there are lots of things I'd like to devote study/practice time to but there's just not enough hours in the day , with work/family/chores and other commitments....I have to prioritise and spend my time wisely...I have done many of the thing's S13 mention's at varying times in my life to a reasonable standard and I believe the important stuff sticks in the mind(bit like riding a bike) some of the stuff climbing for instance I don't see a valid return on the effort...in tough times why would you climb anything courting all that risk and climbing to a decent standard is not quick cheap or easy to learn....being the perfect all rounder would be a full time occupation...I just feel you have to select a few well chosen skill's that you feel will definitely serve you in hard times and it can't hurt to have reference library for all the stuff you don't know.

Health or lack of it is my biggest enemy at the moment.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
15 June 2015, 21:50,
It's good that people recognise the difference between book knowledge and practical application. The more I try things out and practice, the more I realise I don't know.

Reality sucks :-( haha. I'm kidding.

I just want this to be a wake up call to anyone thinking they've read about something, so can do it. Reading about it is frequently MILES away from reality.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin