Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A SIMPLE QUESTION
26 June 2015, 16:09,
RE: A SIMPLE QUESTION
Bugger all they could do Midnite, which is exactly the way to buy it !

But this is only one string to the bow of preppers, Land , food,and good tools of all types are great to hold in our Arsenals ....a good mix of all makes common sense.
26 June 2015, 18:18,
Perhaps we should ask ourselves what we will want to buy with this gold - and buy it now instead.

Gold has the advantage of being portable, but also eminently stealable, taxable and confiscateable. ( is that a word ? ). The first time you try to buy something with it somebody knows you have gold.

On the other hand, the average thief is going to struggle to move 2 tons of coal or a lathe.

You can argue that gold is easy to hide, but when the bad guy is holding a knife at your childs throat you're going to tell him where it is ( tell him it's underneath the coal - maybe he'll have a heart attack ).
26 June 2015, 19:46,
Steve.....you show no mercy !.......however personally I favour something a bit more refined ...as they uncover the tin holding the stash....including 4 oz of C4 triggered via a two stage trip......you will know me....i am the guy with the index finger in each ear.
26 June 2015, 20:15,
I think most people see precious metals as a long term strategy...I know I do...in the midst of an event there going to be of no use but in a recovering world that gold and silver just might be your stake to get you back on your feet again...currency will be a long time returning to use but gold and silver will come into play a lot sooner ... and it will be pretty much universal as its always been....I wouldn't advocate buying it as a priority get your fundementals(food/water/tools/weapons/clothes and other assorted kit) first then maybe build up a little stash.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 June 2015, 21:03,
Yes I agree Midnite.
26 June 2015, 21:35,
It goes without saying it must be physical gold/silver that is you must have it in your hands not the paper variety where they securely store it for you and you just hold a receipt(pointless,to easily stolen/lost or confiscated by TPTB) another bonus with squirreling a bit of precious metal away is if it turn's out nothing major has happened in our lifetime you have made a sound investment and you get a big wedge of cash to spend in your dotage.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 June 2015, 22:12,
Can not fault a word of that Midnite.
27 June 2015, 07:17,
It has to be said that I am not wealthy by any standard, but I do try to keep up with the trend as it were.
The bit about having gold - I have seen this mentioned before and I think it is only mentioned as a type of 'insurance' should things get a bit wobbly around the edges. So as sensible folks spread the risk during their activities, ten per cent is mentioned.
So if your savings are, say, £100 then £10 should be in gold in some form or another. It would seem from my scant bit of research that the best form of this would be in coins that are legal currency - you escape tax and other complications apparently.
Just a thought.
27 June 2015, 07:34, (This post was last modified: 27 June 2015, 07:35 by Mortblanc.)
Plain and simple jewelry also works fine. Simple things like wedding bands that are marked with purity and weight. That makes trade easier and does not get into producing a one ounce bar and trying to make change during a trade or trying to convince someone of the purity.

Even over here, when they confiscated all the bullion they allowed folks to keep their jewelry.

In many parts of the world the family wealth is worn as decoration.

There was a time when gold chains were the favored currency, sold and traded a link at a time.
27 June 2015, 08:59,
if any trading is done post event barter will be the way its done, will anyone exchange gold and silver for their "excess" food? I doubt it very much, I know I wont.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.