Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House Fire Scenario
17 July 2015, 08:02,
RE: House Fire Scenario
although the property is owned by HA, we have contents insurance, because of a run in with neighbours "junior firestarters" a few years ago(they have moved on so that problem solved-they were only visiting thankfully) we have a fire extinguisher and a fire blanket close to hand plus 2 water butts close to the back door.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 July 2015, 10:51,
I have a static caravan and my neighbour has a spare house plus a static caravan, so accomodation is taken care of. I have wooden floors, exposed beams, oak inglennoks etc.. so a fire could potentially destroy my home completely, leaving just the 3ft thick walls standing - horrible thought.
17 July 2015, 11:16,
the closest I've come to a house fire is a chip pan fire in my old bedsit. I grabbed the pan with a wet towel and threw the whole thing out the open back door up against the back wall, opened all the windows and doors and let the smog out. no damage and no lingering smell, that was 25 years ago and nothing since.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 July 2015, 21:55,
Fair enough BP.

So if you and the Mrs were out shopping, and when you came back, you found your home had burned down, what would you do? Do you have a plan for that scenario?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 July 2015, 23:09,
all local councils have housing set aside for these problems , iv seen them a bit like a butlins self catering home , just enough to get by , plus social services will give you cash for food ect till you can sort yourself out.

my ex wife lived in one for a while.
Survive the jive (youtube )
17 July 2015, 23:18,
This is all really good information for people who've not been in these kinds of situation.

Thanks everyone.

Just need to save the phone number for Red Cross, and Council Housing people into my phone.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 July 2015, 00:09, (This post was last modified: 18 July 2015, 00:13 by Mortblanc.)
Across the River from my area, in the urban sewer 50 miles away, there is presently a problem with arson.

Part of the gang activity involving earning gang membership and points toward promotion in the organizations.

Burning a car is worth so much. Burning an abandoned house worth more. Burning an occupied but empty house very impressive. And most impressive and status building of all...

Setting fire to a house with the owner inside!

Auto insurance and home fire insurance rates are going through the roof!

When I did my last two remodels and builds I ran my electric wiring myself.

It was not just to save money.

I feel the electric codes are not strict enough and I wanted heavier wiring, better plugs and fewer outlets per circuit and more total outlets than the codes call for. When I lay my head down the last thing I want to worry about is an overloaded circuit.

The largest single expense of this last remodel was the wiring.
18 July 2015, 08:38,
if you live in "social" housing the electrics are checked on a regular basis, it has to be by law, we also have hard wired smoke alarms -one in the hall and one on the landing.
18 July 2015, 08:57,
snap....
Survive the jive (youtube )
18 July 2015, 13:25,
Re. the Red Cross S13, if you live in an area where the emergency accom. facility is available, I think the Fire Brigade take care of the arrangement for you.

Just to re-emphasise the importance of this thread, there are many (and increasing) ways to end up with a house fire. The increasing trend back towards solid fuel / wood for heating makes the possibility of a chimney fire very real. We've had one; scary. The other thing is Lithium Ion batteries. Have we ever left the house with a lithium battery on charge somewhere? All possible risks. The most amazing one I heard was last winter at a house in Twickenham. Low sun coming through the kitchen window was refracted by a Nutella jar and set light to some blinds, burning the house down and killing the pet dog!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.