Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And…you just got fired! Now what?
17 July 2015, 22:19,
And…you just got fired! Now what?
As it turns out, your boss does hate you, and you've just been fired. The obvious thing to do is update the CV, if it's not already been updated, and go get a new job. The problem is, it isn't looking like you're going to get a new job any time soon!

How long could you survive without the income from your job?

If you haven't got a job, but have benefits or something like that, how long could you survive if that stopped?

Don't forget, council tax and the alike still need to be paid, e.g. mortgage, gas, electric, internet, phone, etc.

What's your plan for longterm unemployment?

P.S. no benefits allowed, because you've been fired when the government has instigated a new benefits cut plan due to further austerity measures.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 July 2015, 22:42,
RE: And…you just got fired! Now what?
I live like im on the dole and save every penny , keeping cash at home [or close] where I can.
hopefully save enough to get me and mine through till new work.
good thread real chance this could happen to some of us , not this end of the world crap all the time.
Survive the jive (youtube )
17 July 2015, 23:06,
If everything collapsed I could survive - that's the whole point of my prepping, however, if I was unemployable and the Govt cut off all benefits but allowed the courts to continue to enforce civic debts like council tax by confiscating property I would be in trouble.
17 July 2015, 23:13, (This post was last modified: 17 July 2015, 23:16 by Scythe13.)
(17 July 2015, 23:06)Steve Wrote: If everything collapsed I could survive - that's the whole point of my prepping, however, if I was unemployable and the Govt cut off all benefits but allowed the courts to continue to enforce civic debts like council tax by confiscating property I would be in trouble.

I guess your next prep is pretty clearly outlined?

For us, we have money to cover the bills, and we have payment protection insurance (not mis-sold it! We're smart enough to know what it is and we actually wanted it) for the mortgage. With food and the alike, our bills would be nice and low. Heating would be £0.00 for the next year, same as food bill. Water would be pretty minimal same as electricity. The main issue would be council tax, which we would just put a large payment out front, to ease any feeling of 'indebtedness' and to buy a little breathing room.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 July 2015, 08:54,
fully stocked larder, 2 full freezers, 2 fridges, a garden full of growing food, an "emergency" fund + a "SHTF" fund, plenty of rabbits, squirrels and pheasants in the area, conclusion: a damn sight longer than most people would.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 July 2015, 11:02,
personally I feel pretty secure about my job being a union member and our union being one of the better ones but if I did manage to get myself fired(not impossible)then the preps laid down would come into there own(food) , I would need to do very little shopping , all vehicles would be sorn'd except the small car and the 125cc m/cycle(incredibly cheap to run, both of them) mortgage payment would be either returned to the minimum(about half what I pay now) or I could take a mortgage break as I'm miles ahead on it. I would revue all my direct debits as there are a few that could be trimmed/gotten rid of , may realise my precious metals for cashflow , sell 4x4 to clear the remaing finance , sell some luxury assets if needed(guitars/watches/bicycle/horse trailer) then there is short term finance ie credit cards but I'm loathe to use these with no job...I wouldn't be unemployed for long as my secondary skill is in high demand(lorry driver) so it'd be two weeks maximum unemployed I reckon then at the very least I'd be doing agency work at £9 ish an hour.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
18 July 2015, 11:29,
(17 July 2015, 23:13)Scythe13 Wrote:
(17 July 2015, 23:06)Steve Wrote: If everything collapsed I could survive - that's the whole point of my prepping, however, if I was unemployable and the Govt cut off all benefits but allowed the courts to continue to enforce civic debts like council tax by confiscating property I would be in trouble.

I guess your next prep is pretty clearly outlined?

For us, we have money to cover the bills, and we have payment protection insurance (not mis-sold it! We're smart enough to know what it is and we actually wanted it) for the mortgage. With food and the alike, our bills would be nice and low. Heating would be £0.00 for the next year, same as food bill. Water would be pretty minimal same as electricity. The main issue would be council tax, which we would just put a large payment out front, to ease any feeling of 'indebtedness' and to buy a little breathing room.

Note I said 'unemployable', not 'unemployed'. I'd have to be in a real state to be unemployable - nothing can prepare me for that.

As far as debts go - I have none at all, everything is paid for. I have at least 3 years of fuel, both solid and liquid, and plenty of food. My drainage and water supply are private, and I have many assets. However, if I was 'unemployable' for long enough those assets would dwindle unless my wife continued in full time work.
18 July 2015, 12:14,
I, fortunately, will never face that problem again, but if I were in Greece and facing a pension cut I would have to take some measures.

I would first shut down the TV and back off the internet service to the bare minimum. Drop the insurance on the vehicles down to the minimum. Stop the quick trips for carry out and eat in food.

I could not go into full survival mode due to the laws here. One must have water and electric in their home or face condemnation and evection. My water, sewer and power runs about $200us per month. Due to age and possible emergency needs I would have to keep my phone in service. So my total outlay would be around $225 per month. Food on top of that, but I would be eating cheaply and foraging for most of the protein.

I have no mortgage, my taxes are minimal. If I fell behind in taxes and was being threatened I have a very sinister view of doing the right thing. I would burn the place to the ground and salt the earth is stands on! But around here one must be at least 10 years behind on property taxes for TPTB to go into harassment mode. I probably will not make it another ten years. I am lucky to have lasted this long.

But again, the age thing is a plus. When I reached retirement I went on a "homestead assessment" which virtually eliminates my property taxation. I pay a token $25-$30us per year.

If I did lose the place I would move south and live with my son and DIL on their farm with the primary task of being the old geezer in residence and minion guard of the palace.
19 July 2015, 20:10,
(17 July 2015, 22:19)Scythe13 Wrote: As it turns out, your boss does hate you, and you've just been fired. The obvious thing to do is update the CV, if it's not already been updated, and go get a new job. The problem is, it isn't looking like you're going to get a new job any time soon!

Ah, my usual state due to the fact that I usually get work when someone's F'd up royally and the clients (or other c word ending in s that means the same thing) want it fixed yesterday, and I come in fix it, tell them how they got it wrong and then the boss (whose fault is usually is 9 times out of ten), doesn't like I've showed them up and so Off I go again.

The joys of freelancing.

With the "downturn" (read end of) the oil industry in Aberdeen, jobs aren't coming up as much now, so living off the money squirreled away during the good times, can live at my level for about a year on what's left, if I cut back on luxuries like weekend takeaway, probably fifteen months.

Not going anywhere near the jobcentre anymore- last time i was in there, was treated like scum.
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
20 July 2015, 07:22,
I know how you feel about the job centres , but its money you have worked for take it.
yes they are making things hard but don't give in ,if you have payed in take wats yours.
Survive the jive (youtube )