Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carrying your gear - how often?
3 August 2015, 13:40,
RE: Carrying your gear - how often?
(3 August 2015, 13:19)bigpaul Wrote: I don't often agree with MB but he has a point about the pain meds. how long would your/anyones stock of painkillers last post SHTF and what will you do when they run out??

Yep no problem with that and something that needs to be thought about by anyone on medication.
3 August 2015, 14:07,
BP,
It is a good and valid point about how long meds would last.
It is also is like saying that if you had a canteen of water and you absolutely needed to cross a desert you would do exactly that if you really had to, irrespective of your water may run out before reaching your destination.
In my case, I don't see running out of meds a month after the SHTF as the end of my game.
I'd rather be in pain, such as it is, than dead and without my family whom I cherish. I'd also be an arse to not take pain killers and sleepers while they are available, when they are not I'll deal with that.
I have a way round the problem although it would be a thing I'd do if the problem got far to bad
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cripple but I could not do the trade I was trained to do from when I was 18 years old.

Here's a thing to consider, it will not just be the people who have become hooked on meds that are in for a shock. People are hooked on cars, fast food, betting shops, booze and a whole load more that our society makes sure we get addicted to and most people are in for a real come-down. I actually think I'm in better mental shape than they will be.
It has been said the best kit you can carry is common sense, as a prepper and survivalist I have a good idea what's coming and unlike the other social junkies I think I could just about keep up with the rest of my pack.

Just my thoughts.

WHB
3 August 2015, 15:04, (This post was last modified: 3 August 2015, 15:09 by bigpaul.)
oh well, as far as the general population is concerned, "common" sense just isn't that common any more, which is why I say the "die off" post SHTF will be much larger than most people expect.

as far as meds/pain killers is concerned I wasn't talking about 1 month, that is doable for just about anyone, I was thinking more longer term, 6 months to a year(or more).
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 August 2015, 08:09,
WHB, I understand the desire to carry more gear. If we could, we'd all be carrying huge loads with everything possible, and the kitchen sink.

But in a SHTF scenario, if you juice up on meds, so that you can carry your bigger pack, you won't feel any pain - awesome, right? No. Far from good. What you're missing out on feeling isn't the pain. It's the amount of damage you're doing. Imagine bugging out with a bigger pack, or just a generally heavy pack, then you put your back out totally. Slipped disk, or something like that.

The technical term for that is, you're royally F'd. Can I make a suggestion that could well save your back, if not your life.

Downsize your bag.

If you reassess your gear and skills, more than anything, this WILL enhance your bug out situation, as well as trial bug out's, and so much more!

With a good skill set, and great quality gear, you'd be surprised how much your pack could drop in weight and size. It's great to have all the stuff you need, but if you're lay there, a burden to those around you, unable to help, only able to hinder, as they need to carry you because you pushed it too hard….not so great.

Drop to a 35 to 40 litre pack, reconsider every item you put in there. Check on here for tips on dropping weight in packs too.

Go Rambo if you want, big gear, go heavy, but if you do, consider the danger you're putting everyone else around you in.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 August 2015, 12:39,
Scythe13,
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas, none of which have been disregarded by myself.
The is much truth in what you write.
I guess pride, in my case, could well come before the fall !

WHB
4 August 2015, 13:37,
depends on where you are bugging out to WHB and why. may I respectfully suggest that with a diabetic wife and an 88 year old dad you probably have only one option and that is to bug IN, lay low and wait out the storm. maybe you should formulate your plans for this requirement instead. bugging out would only be an option for such as you if your home became unsafe through fire, flood or mob rule. just a thought.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 August 2015, 15:53,
BP, bugging out IS in my plans as much as bugging in is also.
I think that it is crazy not to have plans that cover the potentialities that we could encounter.
Right, My dad is 88 and I love the old bloke. If I was god I'd make him fit and well again, sadly I'm not.
Are we about to go pop as a society ? I think not just yet so I am using time to put everything in place I can.
It may even come to the point that my dad may die soon and that would take some pressure off my prep/survival world-view, until then I'll do my best for him.
My wife is another matter. She would be up poop creak if she was bugged in or out when her insulin runs out, we depend on society rebounding enough to get more insulin flowing should there be a sudden and complete SHTF.
I have an old lady next door who lives on her own. On the other side I have a family of 5 with young children. I consider those to be a problem if diseases were to begin to spread around communities, and I live in one of the most desirable estates in and around my city.
Now, if I was at that point where I thought it was time to get out for the best chance of evading detrimental health issues then I have the most perfect of places.
Most people would head south to the most known woodland area but mine is west.
Behind what is lovingly known as millionaires row a woodland that is all but forgotten, so-much-so that when I took a friend there a month or two back I could not believe that the woodland was almost unpassable. It is at the sight of an old spinney that has water running along side and game enough to supplement food.
The bonus in this plan is that it is only 20 minutes walking from my home.
This bug-out option is the last line for us and it is in my plans.
By the way, my wife knows that she has about 6 months if the insulin supply is halted, that don't stop her from backing up our prep plans and direction.
I have about 2 months worth of food in-storage, 10 weeks if you include what is in the kitchen cupboards.
Your point about flooding and fire is a known given and more likely to happen before there is a WROL scenario. I still have both the time and money to put plans in place for as many situations as I can.
So I kinda think I got most the boxes ticked and getting my kit from A to B is covered by me and my family group if needed.
I hope I never have to but don't discount it.

WHB
4 August 2015, 16:21,
I carry mine in my vehicles. I'm never too far from them. I don't carry that much on my person either due to the nature of my work.

I have several bags in the vehicles, a set of each with; a cover everything rucksack for getting home, a just keeping warm and fed rucksack and a first aid kit.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 August 2015, 16:50, (This post was last modified: 4 August 2015, 16:53 by bigpaul.)
WHB, you may be right about society not popping yet, but if you read John's piece on the main page about the worlds debt problems, I don't think an economical collapse is very far off, when that happens society will go so quickly down the pan if we aren't concentrating we might miss it.

A sudden and COMPLETE SHTF means just that, and it means society/civilisation as we know is gone and it isn't coming back anytime soon.
4 August 2015, 17:15,
BP, read it and found it interesting.
I am also aware of the Zio-elite's plans via the IMF, ECB and the laughable Euro to control whole nations via the ad infinitum interest payments.
Yes, and yes again, if there is a social breakdown or armed conflict I fully believe the fuse will have been set by the agents of the elites and then they will sit back and await our cries for their help, with additional interest payments and strict controls implemented thereafter.

Remember BP, I'm 52 and I have been around a bit. I don't believe in zombies, well other than the zombie like attitude of the sheeple.

This thread has drifted away from the original question, I'll restate my position.
Yes I think I could carry my kit to where it needs get, if it needs getting there.
Nuff said on that methinks.

WHB