Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHTF while you're on holiday
4 August 2015, 22:03,
SHTF while you're on holiday
Lovely scenario for you all to consider.

You're on holiday in Paris, and a situation happens that you consider to be a SHTF situation.

How do you get back home?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 August 2015, 22:31,
RE: SHTF while you're on holiday
Sorry but I absolutely must make comment. It is required by the gods of sarcasm.

Why would you want too?

Better food, better wine, prettier women.

And those guys have their rioting perfected down to a fine science so they don't destroy what they really need.
5 August 2015, 05:07,
I agree with Mortblanc. Quite seriously, a long range movement during a wide area catatrophe is asking for trouble. Accept your new reality and bugger on until it blows over.

If you want to imagine your worst possible scenario, it was Haiti after the earthquake when the cholera epidemic broke out. Compared to that Florida after hurricane Andrew, or Misissippi after a Katrina and Rita was a piece of cake. Life isn't fair. If you live to complain and whine about it, and are not engaged in mortal combat with armed people who are trying to kill you, it has been a good day....

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
5 August 2015, 08:04,
things will be going downhill slowly long before they get to that stage, I don't think anyone will be taking foreign holidays due to the financial risks, personally I prefer days out in my own country, still plenty to see here. of course some peoples idea of a holiday is to just crash out by the pool for a fortnight, not mine.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 August 2015, 16:11,
am of on the bike for 2 weeks round spain and Portugal(Madrid/Salamanca/Lisbon/porto/Santiago de compostella then finish of with a few days in the pico's de Europa) will check the foreign office web site before I leave for the ferry , will carry my edc/ghb kit but failing that I'm in the lap of the gods...I'm not so paranoid just yet that I'm hunkering down close to home...live a little
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
5 August 2015, 17:01, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2015, 17:03 by Mortblanc.)
Pictures Mo, We need picture of the outside world with sunshine and trees.

We need to live vicariously through the brave while we hunker down under our chosen bridge.

And just think about it. If you get caught by the "big one" while on the peninsula you have all that sangria and the flamenco dancers to work with.
5 August 2015, 17:09,
yeah mo, better leave that really nice place called Calais off your list, you might come back with an extra passenger!!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 August 2015, 18:30,
If a sudden event happens when I was abroad, perhaps on business in somewhere remote then I think most of us would be screwed. Unless you can fly your own plane and you can find a plane somewhere then trekking across any country and then taking a boat across the channel is going to be next to impossible.

Sometimes no matter what you do it is you that gets it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 August 2015, 21:37,
Next to impossible????

What are you talking about, it's only 25 miles across the channel.

We have people from Cuba and Haiti floating 90-100 miles across the Caribbean on inner tubes to reach the U.S.

Your soldiers were rescued from Dunkirk by a fleet of pleasure boats!

You have little old ladies swimming it for kicks!
5 August 2015, 22:22,
(5 August 2015, 21:37)Mortblanc Wrote: Next to impossible????

What are you talking about, it's only 25 miles across the channel.

We have people from Cuba and Haiti floating 90-100 miles across the Caribbean on inner tubes to reach the U.S.

Your soldiers were rescued from Dunkirk by a fleet of pleasure boats!

You have little old ladies swimming it for kicks!

well said morty
Survive the jive (youtube )