Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book/Resource Needed
15 August 2015, 19:56,
RE: Book/Resource Needed
And in a SHTF situation you even have to improvise for tooling, which requires thinking outside the box. Battery powered cordless tools recharged by solar units, but not directly. Solar charges a battery bank which powers an inverter which charges the tools.

Straight solar to tool would take days to recharge.

Even powering the cordless tools right off a 12v car battery will not give them enough amps to drill a hole. Been there, done that.

And not all inverters will power electric tools. It takes a 1200w inverter just to over-ride the surge of starting a drill gun, and more than that for a Skillsaw, or heavy tools.

So, my garden tractor, with 12v battery, suddenly has a 1200w inverter strapped on with bungee cords and becomes a portable generator???

So, even if you have a book with a wonderful batch of goodies to build to assist your survival, you have already defeated the purpose. If you know you will need to build those things after SHTF why did you not buy them before SHTF?

My all time greatest goal is to have a wood gasifier built and ready to install on my jeep. I simply can not justify building it and having it sit in the shed taking up room for another 40 years while I wait for the end of the world.

Some folks tell me just keeping a big honking 2 1/2 ton, 4wd machine, just to drive in the snow and pull my camper and boats is excessive, I can not imagine what they would say if they found a wood gasifier in the shed. They'd probably lock me away in an old folks home.

Messages In This Thread
Book/Resource Needed - by River Song - 13 August 2015, 16:44
RE: Book/Resource Needed - by Midnitemo - 13 August 2015, 18:50
RE: Book/Resource Needed - by River Song - 14 August 2015, 07:50
RE: Book/Resource Needed - by Skean Dhude - 14 August 2015, 16:04
RE: Book/Resource Needed - by Mortblanc - 14 August 2015, 17:41
RE: Book/Resource Needed - by Midnitemo - 15 August 2015, 12:43
RE: Book/Resource Needed - by Mortblanc - 15 August 2015, 19:56
RE: Book/Resource Needed - by Scythe13 - 15 August 2015, 22:55
RE: Book/Resource Needed - by River Song - 16 August 2015, 12:12
RE: Book/Resource Needed - by Scythe13 - 16 August 2015, 16:00