Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First piglets....
3 September 2015, 22:03,
First piglets....
Our KuneKune pigs delivered their first offspring today, or at least that's when I spotted them.

4 little pasties, sorry, piggies - from a gilt I wasn't expecting to give birth for a few more weeks. She was very small compared to some others, so I'm expecting bigger litters soon.

Here's number one:

[Image: 20150903_184955%201_zpsziczhowa.jpg]

YumYum.
3 September 2015, 23:03,
RE: First piglets....
Making the pastry right now ! Steve.....raised more spuds today to...onions hanging in the shed....carrots .....get up here !
4 September 2015, 12:18,
BaconSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
4 September 2015, 19:36,
Aaah, bless! The little sweetie. How delicious.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
10 September 2015, 00:12,
250 views, 3 replies. That's not a proportion I would expect.

For those considering keeping pigs, the Kunes are incredibly easy. They grow slowly compared to more commercial breeds, but have the massive advantage of surviving on grass with minimal shelter. Hardy little buggers.
10 September 2015, 11:14,
What is the beaurocracy around them like?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 September 2015, 18:39,
(10 September 2015, 11:14)Skean Dhude Wrote: What is the beaurocracy around them like?

Not too bad if they're for consumption by yourself and your household.
10 September 2015, 20:17,
Steve how do you keep them before slaughter ? how much ground would i need for two or four including daddy pig ? when i am done on the ground (front elevation ) i will start on the rear...about 1 acre ....will a stock fence do the job ?
10 September 2015, 23:07,
(10 September 2015, 20:17)Straight Shooter Wrote: Steve how do you keep them before slaughter ? how much ground would i need for two or four including daddy pig ? when i am done on the ground (front elevation ) i will start on the rear...about 1 acre ....will a stock fence do the job ?

You can keep 4 Kunes on an acre but you might need to supplement their diet with hay or pig nuts. I have stock fence all around from when I kept sheep, but the pigs are smart and electric fence is best. Pigs have poor eyesight, so use a wide, white electric fence tape. Electric fence is very easy to move, so you can let them have different areas to graze on whilst others recover. They rotavate the ground quite effectively, so electric fence allows you to easily grow them next years food in the manured land.

I have found the Kunes to be very friendly and placid, I have two boars who never fight and seem happy to share space and sows, they have been together since they were very young - might not be the case with older boars.
11 September 2015, 17:52,
Many thanks Steve.