Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bug Out Vehicle of choice
10 January 2012, 14:01,
Bug Out Vehicle of choice
I've been thinking about a Bug Out Vehicle (BHV).

The one that most catches my eye is the Desert Patrol Vehicle the navy SEALs used to use back in the 80's and 90's.

It looks like lots of pipes with an engine and guns. But obviously I would be cutting the stupid top bit at the back off, because I don't need a mount for a 50 cal machine gun!

Opinions and ideas please people.
10 January 2012, 14:53,
RE: Bug Out Vehicle of choice
(10 January 2012, 14:01)Scythe13 Wrote: I've been thinking about a Bug Out Vehicle (BHV).

The one that most catches my eye is the Desert Patrol Vehicle the navy SEALs used to use back in the 80's and 90's.

It looks like lots of pipes with an engine and guns. But obviously I would be cutting the stupid top bit at the back off, because I don't need a mount for a 50 cal machine gun!

Opinions and ideas please people.
yes, a lot of people like these, i think NR fancies something similar, but i like something a bit more ordinary like a Suzuki carryvan or the newer Piaggio Porter Van, i need something i can get down the deep, deep Devon lanes without attracting too much attention or making too much noise.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 January 2012, 15:02,
Naaa I want one of these beauties

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=wothahe...29,r:7,s:0

10 January 2012, 15:16,
(10 January 2012, 15:02)NorthernRaider Wrote: Naaa I want one of these beauties

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=wothahe...29,r:7,s:0
sorry, you would never get that to our BOL, it would get stuck the first bend it came to! mind you it would probably flatten anything that got in its way.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 January 2012, 15:29,
I think BP's got the right idea about bug out vehicles, same as me, uses a "normal" car that can be modified if needed. Dont forget NOW AND post shtf you need to keep a low profile, and not be seen as someone worth shooting for their car or gear...
For example theres a guy drives around here (not sure if he's a prepper or not )but hes got a modded 4x4 extra big balloon tyres, big roof rack with 3 spare wheels on it, jerry cans of fuel and water..... INSTANT TARGET....or theres BP tootling down the devon lanes in his citroen with the gear covered up in the back NOT A LIKELY TARGET.Tongue
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
10 January 2012, 15:37,
I understand what you're saying. It's a very good point.

The reason for wanting one of the ATV's the SEALs use is simply speed and durability. The Citroen (Lemon in French) will not be a big target. But it would not have the same handling capabilities and tactical uses as the ATV. The ATV has the height profile of a normal car, but the handling capabilities of a 4x4. In a post SHTF situation, that is a much more 'practical' vehicle.

In a post SHTF world, the roads have the capability be really unsafe. motorways are pretty much the same as storm drains over LA. Flat surface that funels everyone through a small space. I'd rather go along the top through the fields than through the motorway. Especially when approaching any bridges or 'ambush points'.
10 January 2012, 15:45,
(10 January 2012, 15:29)mikebratcher69 Wrote: I think BP's got the right idea about bug out vehicles, same as me, uses a "normal" car that can be modified if needed. Dont forget NOW AND post shtf you need to keep a low profile, and not be seen as someone worth shooting for their car or gear...
For example theres a guy drives around here (not sure if he's a prepper or not )but hes got a modded 4x4 extra big balloon tyres, big roof rack with 3 spare wheels on it, jerry cans of fuel and water..... INSTANT TARGET....or theres BP tootling down the devon lanes in his citroen with the gear covered up in the back NOT A LIKELY TARGET.Tongue
thank you Mike, thats just my point, even a very slow but ordinary vehicle, than dosent make a lot of noise is preferable, in my mind,to something, fast and noisy that draws peoples attention, the only reason you will notice my Berlingo is because its covered in Pagan style stickers(from Glastonbury)Tongue these will be ripped off once TSHTF, there are lots of Berlingo's around here so you shouldnt be able to pick ours out once i remove the stickers. it might not be a 4x4 but you should see some of the lanes i go down, lanes where sheeple would fear to tread! we bought it because we wanted a van with windows and that is exactly what it is, the van type seats give us a better view of the road and surrounding area than you would have with any normal car type vehicle.
10 January 2012, 16:03, (This post was last modified: 10 January 2012, 16:09 by mikebratcher69.)
(10 January 2012, 15:37)Scythe13 Wrote: I understand what you're saying. It's a very good point.

The reason for wanting one of the ATV's the SEALs use is simply speed and durability. The Citroen (Lemon in French) will not be a big target. But it would not have the same handling capabilities and tactical uses as the ATV. The ATV has the height profile of a normal car, but the handling capabilities of a 4x4. In a post SHTF situation, that is a much more 'practical' vehicle.

In a post SHTF world, the roads have the capability be really unsafe. motorways are pretty much the same as storm drains over LA. Flat surface that funels everyone through a small space. I'd rather go along the top through the fields than through the motorway. Especially when approaching any bridges or 'ambush points'.
I agree with what you say about the roads and motorways, in a way BP's in a priviliged position because a lot of bigger(military) traffic would never fit down some of those lanes so in a way there a line of defence for him.
make sur you fit a winch though, for pulling yourself out of the mud, along with the mud/sand tracks for extracating yourself if you get stuck, people I know actualy managed to get army off road ammo resupply trucks stuck in mud and thats not easyBig Grin I went to check my bol the other day and the ground nearby is knee deep in mud, great for defence but make sure if you plan for your bol, check for nearby deep mud areas or similar vehicle traps.Wink

My bov is minus a propshaft at the mo, theres a project for me and my welder in the spring... but I still need off road tyres when the cash flow allows, but there so expensive and I dont know if I can secure my vehicle at my bol yet, so I would'nt want to spend wodges of dosh on something I may dispose of anyway, see theres another post... vehicle hiding post shtf...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
10 January 2012, 16:10,
(10 January 2012, 16:03)mikebratcher69 Wrote: I agree with what you say about the roads and motorways, in a way BP's in a priviliged position because a lot of bigger(military) traffic would never fit down some of those lanes so in a way there a line of defence for him.
make sur you fit a winch though, for pulling yourself out of the mud, along with the mud/sand tracks for extracating yourself if you get stuck, people I know actualy managed to get army off road ammo resupply trucks stuck in mud and thats not easyBig Grin I went to check my bol the other day and the ground nearby is knee deep in mud, great for defence but make sure if you plan for your bol, check for nearby deep mud areas or similar vehicle traps.Wink
your quite right Mike, a lot of lanes around here are only 1 vehicle wide, some of them have designated "passing places" they are so narrow! but something i must get it some kind of winch-or at least something to haul me out of a ditch, and some kind of "tank tracks" for use in mud or snow!
10 January 2012, 23:29,
I'm thinking of making it self built. That would be the easiest way to make it to my own exact spec.

I'm going to pretty much build the SEAL vehicle I said about at the top of the thread.

I'll be adapting it to be a 2 person carrier, plus BOB's, Jerry Cans, a tool kit, FAK, and a few other bits.