Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pixie CW transceiver
23 October 2015, 21:29, (This post was last modified: 23 October 2015, 21:42 by Lightspeed.)
Pixie CW transceiver
This thread is started as we diverted NRs thread about simple PC solutions into discussion about this £3.00 transceiver.

The Pixie transceiver is a very simple, small and low power consuming device that is capable of send in and receiving messages out to around 200 miles from base.

The snags are that most of these radios come as kits that you have to assemble yourself ( very simple kit to build though), they only operate on a single frequency, and possibly more of a stumbling block is that they are morse code only.

Picking up from a reply from River Song:

Today, 16:03 (This post was last modified: Today 16:14 by River Song.)

River Song Offline
Sine Qua Non

RE: Technology
@LS - You're a scholar and a gentleman sir!

Lets take this a little further for those of us not totally morse code efficient.

Imagine a cut down PC that has a program outputting morse (CW) on its sound card
and receiving CW on its mic port such as ....

http://www.polar-electric.com/Morse/MRP40-EN/

Would you have a nice little combo for SHTF conditions?

LS - put yer thinking cap on

IP Address: Logged

RS. yes using a computer sound card to hear morse code and then some software to convert it is a very well proven method.

outputting morse from a computer does not use its sound card. Morse transmitters have a simple on/off switch to the transmitter circuit. The morse tone is generated entirely within the radio, it is not a sound that is injected into the transmission from an external source. So, the computer has to operate a timed on/off switch. ( timed for dahs and dits)

Using a computer to decipher morse is often more effective than the human ear / brain.

There are also stand alone devices that can decipher morse:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morse-Code-Rea...543wt_1298

or decoder and encoder from a normal computer keyboard like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CW-Signal-Gene...588wt_1037
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

23 October 2015, 21:43, (This post was last modified: 23 October 2015, 21:49 by River Song.)
RE: Pixie CW transceiver
@LS - thanks for rethreading

The Pixie ready assembled is only 20p more expensive. Even better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R...Y&_sacat=0

just ordered the Pixie ready assembled. £2.94

Lets dream dreams of a preppers cw network :-)
23 October 2015, 22:26,
RS,

beware that our Asian friends interpretation of the word assembled may not be what you are thinking. There have been quite a few disgruntled purchasers who received an unmade kit.

When challenged the suppliers claim that assembled refers to them having assembled all of the components together in a single packet!

The versions costing around £6.50 seem more likely to be fully built up and ready to use.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

23 October 2015, 22:59,
Mmmmm just ordered another one --- this time it explicitly said 'fuly assembled' ready to use.

I'll speak again about plugging an an auto morse equipment later on
24 October 2015, 08:17,
I've ordered one too.

Normal morse operation will be of little use to me though, I'm thinking of modifications. My first idea is to fit an array of thumbwheel switches, maybe 3 or 4, and a pic controller to read the switches and send a numeric code. The pic will sent the code repeatedly, to ensure it is received, until it receives a reply which it will display on a small LCD panel.
24 October 2015, 18:37,
Good on you RS. let me know when they get to you.

Steve, if you are OK with soldering up electronic circuits, theer's another cheapo radio that might do what you want in a single unit. Its called a Super Rockmite, a loose rip off of the famous Dave Benson design, but beefed up to 3w output ( although generally sold as 8w machines)

The one you want is the PIC version ( no serial port) as this one has a built in programmable PIC keyer. This will store a pre set call sign. I am setting these up at remote family residences so that if conventional coms fail, and a message needs to be sent these radios can be brought into action. Playing back the PIC is a single push of a button so anyone can do it. I haven't tested it for max range yet, but it should be good for at least the 100-200 mile range of the Pixie.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 October 2015, 09:39, (This post was last modified: 30 October 2015, 09:40 by River Song.)
This article is interesting as it descrines the interface between your computer and your transceiver. I'm not sure it would be appropriate for the pixie but I thought it usefu; as we consider post SHTF Comms

http://survivalblog.com/digital-communic...e-dweller/
30 October 2015, 10:59, (This post was last modified: 30 October 2015, 11:01 by Lightspeed.)
Pixie transceivers are not really suited to computer interfacing.

they are very simple devices and will for sure suffer with interference.

The pixie is at its best in an electronically quiet environment ( post SHTF?) and using human skill to send and receive messages in morse code.

Strangely it is easier to send morse code than it is to decipher it. But if sent very slowly it can be written down as dots and dashes .... / . / .-.. / .-.. / --- (decodes to H/E/L/L/O)

I am testing with an automatic standalone code reader with some success, but it it gets confused when there are to many stations operating close together... however the human ear can clearly hear tonal differences between stations and can focus on just one of them quite easily. Wait until your one arrives and then have a listen, you'll hear what I mean.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 October 2015, 13:42,
I'm very interested in this thread but very confused at the same time. Am I right in understanding this would be a cheap way to send & receive messages over long distances? To send a message you type it in on a standard keyboard & it converts it (with purchased add on kits) to morse code & sends out as morse. Then to receive the message (with purchased add on kit) it picks up the morse message & displays it as words on LCD screen? If that's how it works, it could be very useful indeed to a lot of people.

If I've totally got it wrong though, feel free to correct me & laugh to yourself for me being so simple Smile
31 October 2015, 14:09,
(31 October 2015, 13:42)Geordie_Rob Wrote: If I've totally got it wrong though, feel free to correct me & laugh to yourself for me being so simple Smile

Although the quoted simple transceiver won't do all that, there are add-ons that might be able to. Mine hasn't arrived yet, so no chance to tinker with it.

My ideal would be a small, waterproof system, with a roll-out aerial and 12v cigarette lighter power connector. It must be rugged, unobtrusive, and simple to operate - able to send a short message repeatedly, to ensure it is received, and display a short reply.