Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1 year EMP
10 January 2012, 23:21,
1 year EMP
This is a simple scenario.

There is a huge solar flare and it wipes out all electricity.

The government can't get any systems up and running simply because they cannot communicate and the people that could fix the systems are too busy looking after their families.

The electricity doesn't go back on. As far as you know, there is no more electricity. Solar panels don't work. Car batteries don't work. Torches don't always work, but some do.

How do you see the first year playing out?
10 January 2012, 23:29,
RE: 1 year EMP
(10 January 2012, 23:21)Scythe13 Wrote: This is a simple scenario.

There is a huge solar flare and it wipes out all electricity.

The government can't get any systems up and running simply because they cannot communicate and the people that could fix the systems are too busy looking after their families.

The electricity doesn't go back on. As far as you know, there is no more electricity. Solar panels don't work. Car batteries don't work. Torches don't always work, but some do.

How do you see the first year playing out?

Solar flares dont kill electricity they kill electromagnetic fields and completed circuits, so if you have disassembled componants for say an alternator, a PV panel kept in a DIY Faraday cage, a Lead Acid deep cycle battery that has not had its acid added, kick or hand cranked or compressed air started diesel engines like Listers you can be up and running in hours. Mainstream society will be buggered for approx 15 years without refrigerators, washing machines, tvs, elivators, street lights, railways etc, and of course it will take at least three years to get water , gas and sewage pumping again. I reckon a smart prepper with a few PV panels, Micro wind turbine, perhaps a static single cyl diesel could be up and self suficient quickly and helping out their community. City dwellers will be really in the shit.

10 January 2012, 23:38,
That is why we talk about EMP proof boxes and the like. It is one of our key scenarios.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 January 2012, 09:06,
Imagine you are in your car on the motorway driving back when it happens.

All the electric systems in your car stop. The whole motorway becomes a car graveyard.

What do you do?
11 January 2012, 09:31,
(11 January 2012, 09:06)Scythe13 Wrote: Imagine you are in your car on the motorway driving back when it happens.

All the electric systems in your car stop. The whole motorway becomes a car graveyard.

What do you do?

Get the mountain bike out the back and ride home if I'm driving my vehicle, if i'm in the wifes grab my BOB or EDC bag and start walking, the further away from home I venture the more kit I take with me.

11 January 2012, 10:03,
I'd get out of my car and look around at the people near me. Check for panic and things like that. Those are the people that can become dangerous.

Next I'd climb on top of my car to check for any lorries or the alike coasting towards us. It's not likely, but if one is, we could be screwed. I'm thinking, someone's pacemaker may have stopped working.

Next I'd call for people heading in the Bristol direction. Anyone with any water, bottled or in a sports pack, stick close to them, and make sure we all walked as a team. The same goes for people with FAK's and food. It could be a days trek, so it's a good idea to have an 'urban primary tool' something like the 'Dead On, Annihilator' to be able to release people from any car accidents that may have happened as a result of the emp.

Then it's a slow walk back.

I would want a team of about 8 people. We would walk along the top of the motorway embankent. People will be panicing, so it's better to be able to see what's ahead of you, and have the ability to duck down and hide quickly. We would probably try our luck at the first service station we came to. But it is likely there will be people outside panicing and trying to loot for food or water, and yes I believe this would be happening as a result of a few hours stuck in the cars no knowing what is going on. I was once in a traffic jam for 5 hours because a guy was threatening to jump off a bridge up in Blackpool on the motorway. People knew what was going on because of the radio. But if that wasn't available, I hate to think what could be happening. No mobile phones, no nothing. Initially it would be confussion, but no doubt it would escalate to panic once they realise the whole area has communications dead.
11 January 2012, 10:09,
(11 January 2012, 10:03)Scythe13 Wrote: I'd get out of my car and look around at the people near me. Check for panic and things like that. Those are the people that can become dangerous.

Next I'd climb on top of my car to check for any lorries or the alike coasting towards us. It's not likely, but if one is, we could be screwed. I'm thinking, someone's pacemaker may have stopped working.

Next I'd call for people heading in the Bristol direction. Anyone with any water, bottled or in a sports pack, stick close to them, and make sure we all walked as a team. The same goes for people with FAK's and food. It could be a days trek, so it's a good idea to have an 'urban primary tool' something like the 'Dead On, Annihilator' to be able to release people from any car accidents that may have happened as a result of the emp.

Then it's a slow walk back.

I would want a team of about 8 people. We would walk along the top of the motorway embankent. People will be panicing, so it's better to be able to see what's ahead of you, and have the ability to duck down and hide quickly. We would probably try our luck at the first service station we came to. But it is likely there will be people outside panicing and trying to loot for food or water, and yes I believe this would be happening as a result of a few hours stuck in the cars no knowing what is going on. I was once in a traffic jam for 5 hours because a guy was threatening to jump off a bridge up in Blackpool on the motorway. People knew what was going on because of the radio. But if that wasn't available, I hate to think what could be happening. No mobile phones, no nothing. Initially it would be confussion, but no doubt it would escalate to panic once they realise the whole area has communications dead.

Amazing its almost the opposite of what I would choose to do, just goes to show our different approaches to survivalism,

I would vacate the vehicle, quickly scan the area for threats or vehicles, then move over the hard should and away into the fields as soon as possible and preferable on my own or in a family group. I would want to be as far away from the road as possible but still able to parallel it. Until I gained a lot more intel i would not approach any cities or get involved with any groups.

11 January 2012, 10:09, (This post was last modified: 11 January 2012, 10:17 by Scythe13.)
After the first service station, it would be a case of just continuing the walk back to Bristol.

Once we neared the city, I think we would probably part ways. I'm not walking through a powered out city. By the time we got there panic would certainly be appearing, if not in full blown fury. I'd have to walk around the city for safety.

Once back home, it would be a case of hunkering down and getting ready for the next few days.

One of the biggest concerns would be the up-lash of people coming from Bristol to the outskirt areas, where we live. We would have to have someone looking out for ANY signs of trouble. People from Bristol moving out towards us, probably after a few days, or even people in the direct area getting too fidgety.

Thankfully my girlfriends dad is pretty well known in the area, so we would probably get to him and go and talk to the other people in the road and get them to work with us as a team. Bug in together, and maybe even bug out together.
Then it is a case of "Out with the maps".

Because I'm new to the Bristol area, and new to survivalism, I don't have a BOL. I would be quite lost on where to go.

We would probably get my girlfriends dad's trailor, fill it with a few supplies for the people we were bugging out with, tie it up, and everyone pitch in and start pulling it to wherever we were going (I feel so unprepared). The likelyhood is, from where we live, that we would see people coming, unless it was at night. So we should get a reasonable warning time.

It would then be the kind of camping trip I would write up on here. 2 weeks in the wilderness, BOBs and GHBs. The fun never ends haha.
11 January 2012, 10:18,
My main concern would be trying to get the family code word to my wife and child, its what we use as a family to tell each other to get home immediately from where ever they are, normally school and the hospital, but hopefully they are now bright enough to realise if the power goes off everywhere to get the hell out regardless of what teachers or bosses say.

11 January 2012, 10:20, (This post was last modified: 11 January 2012, 10:24 by Scythe13.)
2-3 weeks should be long enough for the majority of the bedlam to subside. Then we would start to move back towards our home. We would probably set up a camp on the hills near where we live. Just like an outpost so we can watch the activity in the area for another week, before we dared to make a move back to our home.

Once we know it is save, it then becomes a couple of day trips to the home. Then after about 10 days of that, it should be time to move back in permenantly.

The issue would be if any of my hidden batches of food were found. Your average looter won't go into the loft, so most stores in there should be safe.
It would then be a situation of homesteading, planting crops, and all that. Again, seeds and the alike could probably be stored safely in the loft.
(11 January 2012, 10:18)NorthernRaider Wrote: My main concern would be trying to get the family code word to my wife and child, its what we use as a family to tell each other to get home immediately from where ever they are, normally school and the hospital, but hopefully they are now bright enough to realise if the power goes off everywhere to get the hell out regardless of what teachers or bosses say.

That would be a huge issue for us as well. Thankfully we don't have the issue of children. But I do feel for you if that were to happen.

Just thinking about it, Reality Jones and a couple of other Bristol based guys are going to be meeting up to start a team. That would give us the biggest advantage ever!