Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inflatable canoe / kayak
27 January 2012, 18:22,
RE: inflatable canoe / kayak
That'd be a tandem, not a bicycle then :-)

Me likes tandems....... very efficient long range transport, provided the legs on the rear saddle are working as hard as they should!Huh
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 January 2012, 14:46, (This post was last modified: 30 January 2012, 14:47 by Scythe13.)
(27 January 2012, 18:22)Lightspeed Wrote: That'd be a tandem, not a bicycle then :-)

I meant 2 seperate bikes, one each side of the T rig.

On a really good find note relating to a bug out boat........check this guy's boat out!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9ge_ZsNh0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I would die laughing if I saw that coming towards me, or I saw someone carrying it around post-SHTF haha.
I think I would actually beat them up and leave the rest of their equipent.

It's a large bin with a lid and oars!!! haha.
30 January 2012, 15:06,
(30 January 2012, 14:46)Scythe13 Wrote:
(27 January 2012, 18:22)Lightspeed Wrote: That'd be a tandem, not a bicycle then :-)

I meant 2 seperate bikes, one each side of the T rig.

On a really good find note relating to a bug out boat........check this guy's boat out!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9ge_ZsNh0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I would die laughing if I saw that coming towards me, or I saw someone carrying it around post-SHTF haha.
I think I would actually beat them up and leave the rest of their equipent.

It's a large bin with a lid and oars!!! haha.

That looks great!!
3 of those tied together in a row would do me perfectly!

Looking at the comments he made it from a roof box. Doesn't take up much room, doesn't need inflating, You could stack 'em on top of each other to save room, and I presume you can still put it on the roof racks!
30 January 2012, 16:31,
Looks like a great project. Used to carry stuff around and then when you need it you can cross the river. I bet two bikes each towing a trailer with one of these on each could go anywhere quickly and safely.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 January 2012, 16:43,
You could always use rubber seals and clips to make them collapsible. You would then be able to store them in half the space. Take them to where you want them, then assemble them and hey presto.....something I would laugh at. It might be really effective, but it's still really funny looking!
1 February 2012, 08:26,
Oh, I understand teh T rig stup now. Sounds like taht could be fun to coordinate!

Hahaha re the video. Crazy colonials! Clever idea though.

Confused
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

10 July 2021, 15:53,
(11 January 2012, 19:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: From my archives

Inflatable Kayaks and similar craft

© 2011Northern Raider

A few preppers on various forums have chatted in general about using waterways for bugging out along and a few others have mentioned keeping a boat at home because they live in areas at risk from severe flooding.

Now it does not take a genius to realise that playing around on the water can be dangerous if not deadly for the unskilled and inexperienced people, and its out and out lethal if you normally take to the water if its surging in and inundating your street.
It could be pushing trees, cars, lumber, oil drums, and heaven knows what else under the surface just waiting to puncture your boat or tip you out.
There could be horrendous hidden currents just under the surface during the initial part of the deluge at least just waiting to tip you out of pull you under, so taking to the water during the initial stages of a flood is definitely not wise nor recommended unless the only other option remaining is drowning.

Most experienced boaters and water sports type agree that is most cases leaping into a boat during the initial part of a flood is suicidal and to be avoided at all costs if possible.
BUT using boats and kayaks as silent methods of bugging out along normal waterways like rivers, lakes and canals is very viable and often the best choice for some people, so at least it must be considered and debated by the prepper community.

Being terrified of water myself I think I will choose very deliberately to make the point of EVERYONE WEARS SUITABLE BOYANCY AIDS, properly selected and fitted, plus safety helmets in case you are tipped out.
You must put SAFETY absolutely first on this issue, flood water, rivers, canals, lakes and the sea does not give the foolish a second chance.
So bugging out by boat is and can be a very viable option for more than a few people and for most of us with finite storage space and limited funds I reckon inflatable kayaks with built in buoyancy chambers is worth looking at. I’ve posted a few links at the bottom of the page.

Escaping flood water.
OK so let us assume you have been caught out at home by a flood that has inundated your home which is located on a flood plain. (Over 60% of UK homes are built along ancient river courses and deltas, and plenty are located in the path of water from failed dams.)

A boat, kayak etc may be a prudent if risky investment if there is a likelihood that a flood could either totally cover your house ( bungalow dwellers beware) or the flow of the water could demolish your house both scenarios happened in both the UK and Holland during the winter storm in 1953/54. Hundreds of people drowned on the east coast of England and thousands drowned in Holland.

Victims not only drowned but some were crushed by debris, burnt by chemicals floating on the surface and died of hypothermia after being immersed in icy water for hours.

So using that as a historical warning and remembering that the UK govt has consistently failed to update many flood defences and failed to properly maintain even more we need to consider options for surviving a flood (You rather than me because if my house floods chances are you lot are already fish food, my house is 389 ft above sea level 12 miles from the coast. But taking in the lessons from Fukushima complacency is something I can not really afford).

If you think you are at risk consider getting a boat or inflatable of some sort plus life jackets / buoyancy aids plus doing a course on basic boat handling skills.

Should you be caught out and forced to take to the water a few people I have spoken to suggest that trying to navigate your way through debris laden swirling flood water will probably be the quickest way to kill yourself, they suggest donning your wet weather gear, plus buoyancy aids and helmet, (don’t forget your Bug Out Bags) Then getting into your boat if you absolutely must then try and tie up straight away in the lee of a solid tall object such as an office block, phone mast, etc, try not to be carried away by the flood water. By tying up in the lee of an object you reduce the risk (not entirely) of having a submerged tree of semi submerged piece of debris smashed your boat and possibly sinking it. Taking to the water MAY save your life but flood water in not your friend.

They also suggest that when and where possible you stay in a spot of calm water in the lee of a shelter for as long as possible because not only does debris laden sea / lake flood water rush in, but it also rushes back out carrying even more junk with it. (In the case of Tsunamis the surges can come and go many times over many long hours).

If and when things calm down and it appears to be safe enough to row or sail towards dry land or a big building above the water you must travel very carefully and slowly as you don’t want to puncture your hull or get tipped out by submerged objects from telegraph poles, street lights, trees, etc, slow but sure is the way to safety.

Getting boating lessons and taking regular practise is the best way of prepping, plus being familiar and skilled with your chosen craft is a must, you also need to know how to fix leaks and punctures and have the kit to do the repair with. You may need to find a safe method of cooking on your boat without burning a hole through it; you will need a good water filter like a Katadyn. You will need long quality mooring rope, waterproof flashlights etc. Speak to boating experts for advice not boat salesmen.

Boating to bug out of to reach safety is an option for those with the skills, but I suggest that it really needs to you develop EXPERT levels of skill and knowledge in boating.

All Caveats Apply.
http://shop.spindriftltd.com/seaeagle-1-c.asp
http://www.seaeagle.com/ExplorerKayaks.aspx
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/kcc-36...FUEa4Qodw2LfFQ
http://www.grabner-sports.at/index.php?id=1502&L=2
http://www.inflatable-kayaks.co.uk/
Look you didn't tell about Current Sea Eagle Promo Code here you can get Coupons Code on muliple products go get your product today until it become ends.
11 July 2021, 08:55,
(10 July 2021, 15:53)saracd70 Wrote:
(11 January 2012, 19:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: From my archives

Inflatable Kayaks and similar craft

© 2011Northern Raider

A few preppers on various forums have chatted in general about using waterways for bugging out along and a few others have mentioned keeping a boat at home because they live in areas at risk from severe flooding.

Now it does not take a genius to realise that playing around on the water can be dangerous if not deadly for the unskilled and inexperienced people, and its out and out lethal if you normally take to the water if its surging in and inundating your street.
It could be pushing trees, cars, lumber, oil drums, and heaven knows what else under the surface just waiting to puncture your boat or tip you out.
There could be horrendous hidden currents just under the surface during the initial part of the deluge at least just waiting to tip you out of pull you under, so taking to the water during the initial stages of a flood is definitely not wise nor recommended unless the only other option remaining is drowning.

Most experienced boaters and water sports type agree that is most cases leaping into a boat during the initial part of a flood is suicidal and to be avoided at all costs if possible.
BUT using boats and kayaks as silent methods of bugging out along normal waterways like rivers, lakes and canals is very viable and often the best choice for some people, so at least it must be considered and debated by the prepper community.

Being terrified of water myself I think I will choose very deliberately to make the point of EVERYONE WEARS SUITABLE BOYANCY AIDS, properly selected and fitted, plus safety helmets in case you are tipped out.
You must put SAFETY absolutely first on this issue, flood water, rivers, canals, lakes and the sea does not give the foolish a second chance.
So bugging out by boat is and can be a very viable option for more than a few people and for most of us with finite storage space and limited funds I reckon inflatable kayaks with built in buoyancy chambers is worth looking at. I’ve posted a few links at the bottom of the page.

Escaping flood water.
OK so let us assume you have been caught out at home by a flood that has inundated your home which is located on a flood plain. (Over 60% of UK homes are built along ancient river courses and deltas, and plenty are located in the path of water from failed dams.)

A boat, kayak etc may be a prudent if risky investment if there is a likelihood that a flood could either totally cover your house ( bungalow dwellers beware) or the flow of the water could demolish your house both scenarios happened in both the UK and Holland during the winter storm in 1953/54. Hundreds of people drowned on the east coast of England and thousands drowned in Holland.

Victims not only drowned but some were crushed by debris, burnt by chemicals floating on the surface and died of hypothermia after being immersed in icy water for hours.

So using that as a historical warning and remembering that the UK govt has consistently failed to update many flood defences and failed to properly maintain even more we need to consider options for surviving a flood (You rather than me because if my house floods chances are you lot are already fish food, my house is 389 ft above sea level 12 miles from the coast. But taking in the lessons from Fukushima complacency is something I can not really afford).

If you think you are at risk consider getting a boat or inflatable of some sort plus life jackets / buoyancy aids plus doing a course on basic boat handling skills.

Should you be caught out and forced to take to the water a few people I have spoken to suggest that trying to navigate your way through debris laden swirling flood water will probably be the quickest way to kill yourself, they suggest donning your wet weather gear, plus buoyancy aids and helmet, (don’t forget your Bug Out Bags) Then getting into your boat if you absolutely must then try and tie up straight away in the lee of a solid tall object such as an office block, phone mast, etc, try not to be carried away by the flood water. By tying up in the lee of an object you reduce the risk (not entirely) of having a submerged tree of semi submerged piece of debris smashed your boat and possibly sinking it. Taking to the water MAY save your life but flood water in not your friend.

They also suggest that when and where possible you stay in a spot of calm water in the lee of a shelter for as long as possible because not only does debris laden sea / lake flood water rush in, but it also rushes back out carrying even more junk with it. (In the case of Tsunamis the surges can come and go many times over many long hours).

If and when things calm down and it appears to be safe enough to row or sail towards dry land or a big building above the water you must travel very carefully and slowly as you don’t want to puncture your hull or get tipped out by submerged objects from telegraph poles, street lights, trees, etc, slow but sure is the way to safety.

Getting boating lessons and taking regular practise is the best way of prepping, plus being familiar and skilled with your chosen craft is a must, you also need to know how to fix leaks and punctures and have the kit to do the repair with. You may need to find a safe method of cooking on your boat without burning a hole through it; you will need a good water filter like a Katadyn. You will need long quality mooring rope, waterproof flashlights etc. Speak to boating experts for advice not boat salesmen.

Boating to bug out of to reach safety is an option for those with the skills, but I suggest that it really needs to you develop EXPERT levels of skill and knowledge in boating.

All Caveats Apply.
http://shop.spindriftltd.com/seaeagle-1-c.asp
http://www.seaeagle.com/ExplorerKayaks.aspx
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/kcc-36...FUEa4Qodw2LfFQ
http://www.grabner-sports.at/index.php?id=1502&L=2
http://www.inflatable-kayaks.co.uk/
Look you didn't tell about Current Sea Eagle Promo Code here you can get Coupons Code on muliple products go get your product today until it become ends.
SPAM.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 July 2021, 23:05,
I opened a can of spam yesterday. It was nearly as old as the thread this low life resurrected to spam us with coupon clicks to earn his three penny's wages.

At least my can of spam was quite tasty with the eggs I scrambled and chips I fried up. Not nearly as irritating as what this being served up.