Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inflatable canoe / kayak
12 January 2012, 11:02,
RE: inflatable canoe / kayak
If its a PRIMARY B O vehicle for a member of our community I dont think the price will be to much of a concern if you consider most of us spend thousands on cars, bikes etc.

12 January 2012, 11:07,
That's a good point. It'll definately be out of my price range. I'll be bugging in tbh, as I have nowhere else to go. Got a few locations scouted out, but nothing that I own.

This was more as a bit of a leisure craft.
12 January 2012, 11:09,
The Priice are VERY high
8ft £1700
10 ft £1900
12 ft £2160
14ft £2496

Thats probably double what most sensible preppers would pay for a basic boat.

12 January 2012, 11:20,
Ha, you could get a 2nd hand 3 seater jetski for the price of the 14foot one!. Be a damn site quicker to bug out too (and more fun)
12 January 2012, 11:34,
I watched a guy down near the white water rafting thingy in Teesside couple of years back using a jet ski to tow what i could only describe as a cargo kayak around, no pasenger carrying space just round covered loading bays. Duinno what he was doing and I could not attact his attention to ask him. But it does leave the option of bugging out by Jet Ski towing a cargo container of BOB gear a viable option.

12 January 2012, 12:02,
We had a 3 seater yamaha one, big grey thing. It did about 40 mph (plenty quick enough, especially in the sea) but this thing was almost impossible to turn over.

We took it to Dover once, didn't realise quite how big the waves were there. It was okay when you're moving, but smashing through the waves, then slamming down on the next one certainly doesn't do your nuts any favours.

Jetski would be very usefull bug out vehicle on rivers etc - especially if you're towing something. Maybe one of the old kawasaki 2 seater ones - more liable to tip over, but slightly more manouverable than a big one (and cheaper)
12 January 2012, 15:57,
dont like inflatables, too many people on the coast have been swept out to sea on one. went fishing many years ago with a neighbour in an inflatable boat on an estuary, speedboat went whacking past and the wash nearly tipped us out into the water!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 January 2012, 16:00,
(12 January 2012, 15:57)bigpaul Wrote: dont like inflatables, too many people on the coast have been swept out to sea on one.

I don't know anything about these things - so forgive my ignorance, but would it have made a difference if they were in a normal kayak / canoe?

12 January 2012, 16:03,
(12 January 2012, 16:00)00111001 Wrote:
(12 January 2012, 15:57)bigpaul Wrote: dont like inflatables, too many people on the coast have been swept out to sea on one.

I don't know anything about these things - so forgive my ignorance, but would it have made a difference if they were in a normal kayak / canoe?
yes, if they knew what they were doing, if they were an experienced canoeist.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 January 2012, 16:06,
(12 January 2012, 16:03)bigpaul Wrote:
(12 January 2012, 16:00)00111001 Wrote:

yes, if they knew what they were doing, if they were an experienced canoeist.

Cool - I didn't realise there'd be that much difference.
Thankfully I'll not be on the sea, so nout much chance of getting swept away. Only really be used for trips down the river - but if they're crap then there's not much point in getting one I suppose!