Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EDC knives
7 November 2015, 20:28,
EDC knives
What knife are you carrying EDC NOW guys, just out of curiosity?

I have a few very nice little knives UK legal and not and though when I make a CONSCIOUS decision to take a small blade out with me I usually select a small lock knife , oddly enough if I'm pottering around Chez NR (Sold Castle NR to buy an aquarium Smile ) I nearly always end up carrying and using the little budget Byrd Tern UK folder.

7 November 2015, 21:25,
RE: EDC knives
Sadly I have lost my Victorinox Swiss Army Hunter somewhere out in the pig field, one sunny day I'll get out my metal detector and find it, so I'm reduced to carrying a small lock knife that takes a Stanley knife blade in addition to the miniscule blade on my Swisscard. Technically, and stupidly, it's not legal for me to carry it in public places because it locks. I have a Gerber Suspension multifunction tool, it's great, but just too heavy to slip into my pocket every day. It is also illegal because the blades lock.

I use a knife all the time at work, and all the time at home on my smallholding, but the 10 minute journey between the two places I'm not allowed to carry that short bladed lock knife in my pocket.
7 November 2015, 21:39, (This post was last modified: 7 November 2015, 21:41 by Lightspeed.)
A Victorinox is the UK legal knife of choice, in a city slicker kind of way.

My favourite folding knife is an antique French Lagiole with bone handle brass hinges and chromium plated hand forged steel blade, alas it is no longer legal of course.

Around the property the carried everywhere and used for just about everything blade is a Hulfators fixed blade in plastic sheath. Ultra utility, no frills machine forged blade that has taken more abuse over the last three years than any knife I have ever owned. Its bruised and battle scarred but still takes a good edge with minimal sharpening.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 November 2015, 21:57,
Please educate me as to what is required for a knife to be legal in UK? Are all lock-blades banned or only those over a certain blade length? My EDC is a Bundeswehr lockblade folder by Victorinox, the screwdriver blade also locks, but the saw does not.

I often carry a small 3" fixed blade CRKT. Would a sturdy paring knife or a steak knife you "borrowed" from a pub get you in trouble if you claimed its only purpose was to save you from a bad take away meal?

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
7 November 2015, 22:23, (This post was last modified: 7 November 2015, 22:25 by NorthernRaider.)
Legal knives must not have cutting edges longer than 3 in 75 mm, and they cannot have locking mechanisms, NO FIXED BLADES.

And we are not as bad as Denmark where they have the same limits as us AND they cannot thubs studs or holes to allow single handed opening.

Many Brits ignore the NO LOCKING bit because primarily they are safer to handle and use than non locking blades.

Oddly enough TECHNICALLY many of the blades on mutil tools are technically illegal because they have locking mechanisms, but the cops ( up here at least) ignore multi tools.

7 November 2015, 23:06,
(7 November 2015, 22:23)NorthernRaider Wrote: Legal knives must not have cutting edges longer than 3 in 75 mm, and they cannot have locking mechanisms, NO FIXED BLADES.

And we are not as bad as Denmark where they have the same limits as us AND they cannot thubs studs or holes to allow single handed opening.

Many Brits ignore the NO LOCKING bit because primarily they are safer to handle and use than non locking blades.

Oddly enough TECHNICALLY many of the blades on mutil tools are technically illegal because they have locking mechanisms, but the cops ( up here at least) ignore multi tools.

Except....... where you have a good/justified reason for carrying a fixed blade.

Such as a tradesman, or a fisherman, or a farmer, a gardener or even someone camping etc... BUT, a gardener or tradesman could not (legally) for example carry his fixed blade into a supermarket or shopping centre etc.
7 November 2015, 23:18,
(7 November 2015, 21:39)Lightspeed Wrote: Around the property the carried everywhere and used for just about everything blade is a Hulfators fixed blade in plastic sheath. Ultra utility, no frills machine forged blade that has taken more abuse over the last three years than any knife I have ever owned. Its bruised and battle scarred but still takes a good edge with minimal sharpening.
I have several of these myself, more like a sharpened crowbar than a knife, but useful nonetheless.
8 November 2015, 08:50,
Steve:

[/quote]
I have several of these myself, more like a sharpened crowbar than a knife, but useful nonetheless.
[/quote]

Yes that's the one. A sharpened crowbar describes it perfectly.

If it had a notch for pulling nails it would be even better. Now, there's an idea
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

8 November 2015, 13:15,
Have a bokker plus xs, or a smaller bokker plus which I forget the name of. Maybe the nano. Unopened it's a curved rectangle a little smaller than the a credit card. Looks less dodgy too, though they are both uk legal.
9 November 2015, 00:19, (This post was last modified: 9 November 2015, 00:21 by Sunna.)
ww2 jack knife , stamped 43 as in 1943 , found at a antique fair in Malvern for 50p , rusty and covered in old paint took a few days to clean her up but now my fave.
the tin opener is great use it most days at work.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ww2+...ajaxhist=0
Survive the jive (youtube )