Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improve your off road driving skills
8 November 2015, 12:53,
Improve your off road driving skills
Essential extra skill training for those who need a 4x4 NOW and after TSHTF, ideal for getting from the Metro Centre to Eldon Square Smile

http://www.yorkshire.landroverexperience...ining.aspx

8 November 2015, 13:56,
RE: Improve your off road driving skills
The problem with Land Rover Experience is that they use all the latest vehicles with hill descent, anti-stall, terrain response, turn a dial for the type of conditions (grass/rocky/ice/mud etc...) and it really doesn't use any skill, you can literally point the vehicle in the right direction and steer, you don't even need to use the accelerator pedal half the time!

If you've got a 4x4, join the Green Lane association (http://www.glass-uk.org) and get out in your area with other green laners, then you'll be using and learning about the capabilities of your own vehicle in real life conditions, whilst also having a great day out. And providing you don't break anything, the only cost is the petrol/diesel that you use.
8 November 2015, 14:00,
Good advice Dev, cant beat hands on experience with other owners

8 November 2015, 14:03,
The other advantage to Green Laning from a prepping perspective is that you'll be amazed at what you can find and stumble across off the beaten track, in terms of resources that may be useful in the future.......
8 November 2015, 14:10,
Oy Devonian, don't give all my tricks away!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 November 2015, 14:12,
Another advantage of green-laning is that you get to learn routes that are rarely used. I used to green-lane and go on pay-and-play off-road days, they were good fun and I learned a lot. My car was a little Suzuki SJ, with larger sized mud tyres and a few cheap modifications it would keep up with almost anything off-road, not through fancy traction control electronics, but because it weighed much less than half of a Landrover Defender. Weight is very important.

If you are going to try green-laning I recommend you invest in two quality winches - one on the front of your car and one hand transportable type. On several occasions I came across burned out cars blocking green lanes, either insurance jobs or joyriders, and a winch is invaluable to get them out of your way. Don't forget shackles and tree strops, and if you can afford it some Dyneema rope is incredible strong and light. A log saw is essential too.
8 November 2015, 15:01,
I used to be in the TRF ( trail riders fellowship) and used my assorted trail bikes to explore RUPPs and green lanes

8 November 2015, 21:51,
Its best to use your own vehicle on routes that you are intending to use in the future.

Land rover experience days, as Dev rightly points out tend to use the very latest equipment which nowdays means lots of computer driven traction aids. Fun it is, but its not much use as training for driving a low tech 4x4

The best of road 4x4 experience day I have ever done was in France and the centre just used little Suzuki SJ410s. It was amazing what those little cars could do.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

8 November 2015, 22:06,
I need a 4x4 Sad

9 November 2015, 00:39,
I have a soft roader on normal road tyres with hill descent and switchable ABS ... my fiat panda 1.1 eco(previous car)would fare better off road , I'm under no illusions about my cars capability or should that be lack of... I have an off road m/cycle and bicycles for after an event as I see fuel being an issue very quickly and I've yet to find a truly economical 4x4.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!