Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire in windy places
15 November 2015, 18:49,
Fire in windy places
This is old hat to most of you, but it was new to me so worth mentioning.

I have a DIY incinerator, for disposing of animal guts and skins. It's made from an old tumble drier drum with holes punched into it. The trick is not to punch too many holes so it burns for a long time and incinerates properly.

Anyway, today was very windy and I had trouble lighting it - matches and lighter kept blowing out. I remembered my friends lighting cigarettes inside the lapels of their bike jackets, but I wasn't going to try that, so next best thing - an old tin can.

It's possible to light a small fire inside a steel tin can, on its' side. You can feed it small twigs and shavings and actually get some heat from it. It's like a mini-stove, next time I might punch a small hole in the back to act as a chimney.

A bonus is the it won't be seen from far away.
15 November 2015, 18:55,
RE: Fire in windy places
Good Handy tip, I'm bone idle I use a PB 207 pocket butane torch, it works in a force ten Smile

15 November 2015, 19:08,
(15 November 2015, 18:55)NorthernRaider Wrote: Good Handy tip, I'm bone idle I use a PB 207 pocket butane torch, it works in a force ten Smile

I could have used a blowlamp, but it seemed like cheating ( and my Son was there, so "Dad Skills" surfaced Big Grin )

My Sons can outshoot me, outrun me, outlift me, basically out-everything me, and at 6'7" they make me look like a midget, so it's nice to be "Dad" again sometimes Big Grin
15 November 2015, 19:19,
Oh I have been there my friend, a son who turned into a better archer than me, and 20 years ago a wife who won tac shotgun comp for beginners with a mossy .410 pump gun beating me by 11 points. Its a bigger being a dad at times Smile

15 November 2015, 19:40,
(15 November 2015, 19:19)NorthernRaider Wrote: Oh I have been there my friend, a son who turned into a better archer than me, and 20 years ago a wife who won tac shotgun comp for beginners with a mossy .410 pump gun beating me by 11 points. Its a bigger being a dad at times Smile

Tell me about it - my youngest Son outshoots me with my own shotgun ( I had to add 3/4" spacer to make it long enough for him ), and my oldest outshoots me with my own rifles despite him being right handed and my rifles left handed .

I feel proud and old in equal measures.

On the upside, I can kick their ass with a catapault any day.