Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting a right battering tonight
5 December 2015, 22:14,
Getting a right battering tonight
Flying wheely bins, over turned vans, falling trees, localised flooding, loads of fences down, lights flickering, wind making a horrendous noise non stop, street lights flexing like they are made of rubber and rain not heavy like in Cumbria but it is horizontal. what a bloody night.

5 December 2015, 22:25,
RE: Getting a right battering tonight
Tuck your selfs in and stay safe and warm mate
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
5 December 2015, 22:53,
Bloody glad I'm not in Cumbria its getting well stuffed by the torrential rain and wind, Evacs under way in Kendal, Keswick and similar locations. The NEW flood defences in the area have been over topped already.

5 December 2015, 23:05,
Yes mate see it on the news ,just before Xmas ,bloody shame
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
6 December 2015, 08:51,
got back sat afternoon instead of fri , drops in and around the lakes cockamouth area , it was just nuts roads were streames trees down everywhere and lots of local flooding , roads shut ,speed limits 50 on motorway.
I drive a curtain sider ok when full I was [end of week] almost empty , wind could blow you 3ft one way or other [still fools want to overtake me] .
one thing I noticed on drops talking to folk up their they all stock up on grub and fuel they are hardened to it.
Survive the jive (youtube )
6 December 2015, 09:53, (This post was last modified: 6 December 2015, 10:23 by NorthernRaider.)
South lakes area as far as Preston and Morecombe lots of flooding, 55,000 without power since yesterday, Much of lake District under water, thousands displaced, the floods run from Appleby right up in the Eden valley right across to the West coast, two of my wife's relatives are stuck in a hotel in Keswick, Many modern flood defences failed.

Over the east side much of Northumberland is cut off with localised flooding and as far south as Teesside the flood barriers are up in Yarm.

Preston, Morecombe, Lancaster, Carnforth major power cuts on going since yesterday.
No trains going north from Preston to Scotland
Appleby is a lake, Kendal, Penrith problems with runoff from hills

6 December 2015, 10:25,
That is one reason some areas need to be considered very carefully before you chose them as your retreats. The UK does well in this regard. We know where these areas are and can avoid them. One reason I suggest the North West/Wales areas. May be full of Welsh at the moment, whom like the Scots hate us, but the climate is good.

There is a difference between practising preps and having to use them on a regular basis.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 December 2015, 10:55, (This post was last modified: 6 December 2015, 11:12 by NorthernRaider.)
Parts of Hawick up on the borders being evacuated, Just seen cell phone footage of the rivers and streams up on Bowes moor leading down into the Eden valley towards Brough, Appleby, Penrith.

Loads of poor devils got stranded after a truck fell over closing the A66 so the plods diverted motorists down small rural lanes to try and get around the blockage , trouble is many of the roads were flooded and traps the diverted motorists. Lots of people spent the night in cars.

Years ago I wrote as have many others about the importance of CAREFULLY choosing where you move to when you get a new home and avoiding floods should be high on the list, not just from RISING floodwater coming from overflowing water ways, but also flash flooding caused by runoff from hills above you.

Naturally ( before I get attacked) many people cannot choose where they live so they are going to have to think outside the box and look at ways of stopping flood water from getting into the houses (flood barriers for doors, covers for air bricks, one way flaps on waste outlets etc)

Sky news reporter saying many of the recent and newly installed flood barriers simply failed as soon as they were tested, the water simply over topped the NEW defences.

FYI I'm thinking this is just the start this winter because if you remember this is a record El Nino year.

A590 the main route to the entire south lakes completely closed off, huge numbers of people standed.

6 December 2015, 11:14, (This post was last modified: 6 December 2015, 11:18 by Sunna.)
the a66 has large parts where you can drive at 70mph many on Friday were going over that speed in gale force winds and driving rain.
nobheads risking my life as well as their own.

cop should clamp down hard on this.

north wales is full of folk fleeing Liverpool.
Survive the jive (youtube )