Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting a right battering tonight
6 December 2015, 10:55, (This post was last modified: 6 December 2015, 11:12 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Getting a right battering tonight
Parts of Hawick up on the borders being evacuated, Just seen cell phone footage of the rivers and streams up on Bowes moor leading down into the Eden valley towards Brough, Appleby, Penrith.

Loads of poor devils got stranded after a truck fell over closing the A66 so the plods diverted motorists down small rural lanes to try and get around the blockage , trouble is many of the roads were flooded and traps the diverted motorists. Lots of people spent the night in cars.

Years ago I wrote as have many others about the importance of CAREFULLY choosing where you move to when you get a new home and avoiding floods should be high on the list, not just from RISING floodwater coming from overflowing water ways, but also flash flooding caused by runoff from hills above you.

Naturally ( before I get attacked) many people cannot choose where they live so they are going to have to think outside the box and look at ways of stopping flood water from getting into the houses (flood barriers for doors, covers for air bricks, one way flaps on waste outlets etc)

Sky news reporter saying many of the recent and newly installed flood barriers simply failed as soon as they were tested, the water simply over topped the NEW defences.

FYI I'm thinking this is just the start this winter because if you remember this is a record El Nino year.

A590 the main route to the entire south lakes completely closed off, huge numbers of people standed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Getting a right battering tonight - by Barneyboy - 5 December 2015, 22:25
RE: Getting a right battering tonight - by Barneyboy - 5 December 2015, 23:05
RE: Getting a right battering tonight - by Sunna - 6 December 2015, 08:51
RE: Getting a right battering tonight - by NorthernRaider - 6 December 2015, 10:55
RE: Getting a right battering tonight - by Sunna - 6 December 2015, 11:14