Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HF E Mail system
7 January 2016, 06:33, (This post was last modified: 7 January 2016, 06:40 by Lightspeed.)
RE: HF E Mail system
Interesting system NR

Big advantage of this system is asynchronous messaging between individuals. As the data is being transmitted over HF it is effectively being broadcast worldwide, so messages can be easily intercepted and deciphered, so it should not be considers a secure network....its far less secure than the existing internet, that's for sure.

Reliance on the key hubs being operative, third party access controls need to be considered.

e-mail via the internet is an inherently resilient system, so if it were lost completely that would lead me to think that a major worldwide event had taken place. If this were the case I'm personally dubious of this system's resliiance, nor its ability to handle the amount of traffic that could be thrown at it.

And remember you still have to be able to deliver a radio signal into the nearest hub....or the second nearest one should the first be out of service.

In a previous thread I mentioned PSK31 as a possible internet replacement. Its free of charge and allows computer to computer communication via any radio that is SSB equipped. (FM too I seem to remember)

PSK31 is equally insecure, again because data is broadcast.

Likewise it broadcasts messages, one person can message many others simultaneously. Think of it as operating exactly like this forum but with messages only available in real time.

Because PSK31is live communication, it requires all parties are on air at the same time. This issue as far as radio Opsec is concerned, especially for the transmitting stations.

Mitigating the Opsec disadvantage, PSK31 requires very low power to achieve significant range. (0.5 to 5w can achieve reliable communication across Europe on HF)

for local use it is viable to operate PSK31 over any SSB capable CB radio, and one of our friends here has already had good success running it over UV5r type walkie talkies.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

Messages In This Thread
HF E Mail system - by NorthernRaider - 2 January 2016, 14:26
RE: HF E Mail system - by Skean Dhude - 2 January 2016, 15:57
RE: HF E Mail system - by Lightspeed - 7 January 2016, 06:33