Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve got me thinking
9 January 2016, 23:25,
Steve got me thinking
Steve made a post recently and posed the question....he wished that old craftsmen/women should have a venue where they could teach old skills to unemployed people and the alike ....and i think its a great idea , two years back i was asked to do a talk at a local school , the age group was six and seven year old's .....the subject was making STUFF out of wood .....i agree ....just for the trip....so i have a think, and come up with a BOAT ...a sailing boat ....when i was about five or six years old my grandfather made me a boat ....as he made this boat in front of me i remember the precision...the lines....it had to be RIGHT ...a carpenter by trade from Pembroke West Wales and a true craftsman make no mistake....just because this mere boat was for his grandson ...did not mean a short cut in the craft and skill in the making of it .....it was produced from either 3"x2" or 4"x2" the mast was dowel along with the sail beam ...these were attached by hook and eye from net curtain wire.....i had to make the Sail from some cotton pillow cover ...."ask your mother" he said....i did after... a coat of shellac ....i was ready to set sail ....and indeed i did .....Spain i think it was....i make the boat , cut the dowel , sling some tools in a bag .....and off i go to do the gig....i am introduced as Oliver's granddad .....i pull the boat out of the bag ....a big wow go's up ...i am swamped by kids.....i drill out the hole for the dowel ...and tap it in with a mallet ....another wow go's up ...i drill pilot holes for the hook and eyes....screw them in.....another wow go's up.....i now explain that the class along with Miss Cooke
will now have to make the sail before she's ready for the sea and they would have to paint her up nice to...... then Miss Cooke said okay children Oliver's granddad will show you how to measure and cut some paper sails from some card using a scissors ..and the best one will be used on the lovely boat....not only that but Oliver's granddad will judge the best one.....for two years i have had death threats, buckets of hate mail , spat at in Aldis, and many attempts at being tripped up...with regards my judging abilities ......seriously i found that afternoon a pure joy and very worthwhile and fulfilling....its not about a boat ...it was about smiling faces and genuine interest HOW things are made and even better the need for them to participate .....they wanted to make their OWN BOAT....back to the point what do you think of STEVE's idea.
10 January 2016, 09:45,
RE: Steve got me thinking
I'm a part of a country crafts group that meets up on a monthly basis with the aim of sharing skills and knowledge on many different topics, ranging from string making, natural dyes, charcoal making, green wood working, basic blacksmithing and many many more. We welcome anyone to come along to our meetings to "have ago" though the group itself is a closed group by invite only to those who show a genuine interest or a craft or skill to share.

I see it as part of developing a local community of like minded people with skills post shtf, most of the members are intersted in the permaculture and transition town kind of movement which is another aspect to the group.
The group is still relatively small with just a hand full of people, but there is a lot of knowledge and experiance in the group.
Infact we are meeting up today, the wife will most likely be working on the pole lathe and I will be working on some over stood mixed coppice which I'm looking to bring back in to producing usable hazel rods for hurdle making.

Stumbling blocks for a group like this are the modern issues of health and safety, insurance and child protection, We have some cover through our membership to the Association of pole lathe turners and green wood workers, but with such a broad range of topics that we cover you could soon be in trouble if someone came along and got injured, one of the reasons for being a closed group.
10 January 2016, 10:47,
When I can I show the kids friends and some of the neighbours kids things around the garden. They love picking the fruit and every now and again I have air rifle practise with them. Did think about doing it as a wider group but don't want to go through the CRB check and have to follow rules. I'll stick to small groups of the kids friends and that will have to do.

If they ever relax the rules then I may do something more format but as it is no way.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 January 2016, 22:21,
I could do a class on beard grooming.

Seriously, the only thing I can make is a mess
12 January 2016, 23:15,
Yes BM but using that meat cleaver to trim up that beard....would be of great interest ...i would sign up !
13 January 2016, 10:09,
trim a beard? not in this household you don't!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 January 2016, 17:33,
Chain saws can be very dangerous in the wrong hands BP.
13 January 2016, 17:45,
(13 January 2016, 17:33)Straight Shooter Wrote: Chain saws can be very dangerous in the wrong hands BP.

you don't have to tell me that SS, I found out the hard way!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.