Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Oven Idea
20 February 2016, 00:49,
Interesting Oven Idea
I was watching some Jamie Oliver cookery thing on TV tonight and his side kick built what they called a Tandoori Oven.

Basically it took the principles of a standard rocket stove but instead of being a stove onto which pots and pans are place, it formed a "very" effective outdoor oven.

In fact this thing was so effective with was reaching temperatures of 400C and cooking naan breads in 60 seconds!!

Now they were using for cooking authentic Indian foods, but as an oven I'm sure it can be used in all sorts of ways to cook, bake and roast an number of different foods. and due to its size, it could be used for group cooking as well.

Here's a link to a PDF set of instructions to build your oven from a steel bin and flower pots:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/jimmytandoori/to.pdf
20 February 2016, 04:37,
RE: Interesting Oven Idea
Good find Dev. Thanks for sharing.

This will be an interesting project to undertake.

From the temperatures you mention this should be very clean burning, and probably more suited to fast cooking than roasting.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

20 February 2016, 11:19,
Yes definitely suited to fast cooking, but I would think that with a bit of experimentation such as reduced fuel loads etc then lower steady temperature should be achievable.

But certainly something worth setting up and experimenting with. I also see there are lots of variations on youtube, built using just ceramic plant pots, although these tend to be smaller.....
20 February 2016, 11:36,
Cheers DEV ....yet another project to keep me out of trouble...truth is i love stuff like this....i have about 13 projects lined up for the workshop at the last count....loads of fun and pleasures to be had and of course lots of bad language.
21 February 2016, 09:41,
Don't know if this is of interest, slightly different, but this is something that I would like to have a go at making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-g3jwv3R8Q

I've played around with various rocket stoves and really like how frugal they can be with fuel.
21 February 2016, 09:58,
I like that T O ......14 ?