Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer programming
2 March 2016, 18:46,
Computer programming
Anyone consider this a SHTF skill?
I'm considering teaching myself some basic programming, along the lines of PYTHON and C programming. Nothing major, just thinking along the lines of it might be useful, afterall, the internet was created to survive a nuclear war.
Thoughts?
2 March 2016, 19:39,
RE: Computer programming
G-Code is much easier, and arguably more useful in a post-global-trade world. Also, if you have free time, the low powered micros like the raspberry pi could be very useful for everything from moving your solar panels to watering your polytunnel.
3 March 2016, 01:49,
My thoughts are that after any SHTF type of scenario, I'll be way too busy sourcing food, water, firewood, fuel, other vital supplies and not forgetting protecting myself/others from the roaming thieving hoards.

Can see any way that computer programming is going to help????

I would have though that practical skills such as electrical engineering or fabrication skills would be far more valuable in such situations........
3 March 2016, 08:10,
Personaly I leave that level of computer know how to my kids, the eldest is a bit of a geek anyway and my youngest is doing basic coding at school, my main concern post shtf is still being able to access my digital data and that mostly comes down to having a suitable power source which I sort of have covered in a small solar battery bank.
3 March 2016, 09:07,
(3 March 2016, 01:49)Devonian Wrote: My thoughts are that after any SHTF type of scenario, I'll be way too busy sourcing food, water, firewood, fuel, other vital supplies and not forgetting protecting myself/others from the roaming thieving hoards.
my thoughts exactly Dev.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 March 2016, 09:22,
one of the first things I learned when I got online was if you want to save info for post SHTF, print off a hard copy and keep it in a hard backed file, that way you'll always have access to it even if the power grid is fried!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 March 2016, 10:04,
I have to agree with DEV and BP, I believe we will all be busy with more practical everyday stuff Rocks....i would be more inclined to learn about gardening for example, any efforts here would be of a more tangible useful self sustaining endeavour.

Although learning to programme is a good idea and skill set, who ? will or would want this service in a shtf scenario ...even if the internet was still available ? ....your time would surely be better employed learning good old fashioned skill sets...that's where the growth is going to be Rocks.
3 March 2016, 10:18,
as soon as TSHTF and the power grid shuts down, I will dump my laptop and mobile phone and wave goodbye to 21st Century technology and immerse myself in good old fashioned pre industrial revolution ways of doing things, keep it basic and keep it simple is my motto.
3 March 2016, 10:22,
I think far too many people make plans that are far too involved and far too complicated, trying to live in the same manner and the same lifestyle as they did PRE SHTF in a POST SHTF environment is not going to work and will only lead to failure.
we need to ADAPT to the new circumstances if we have even a hope of surviving.
3 March 2016, 10:25,
I'm looking at using something like a Raspberry Pi now and setting it up for after an event but I can code now. From a return on the time you will spend learning how to code plus the simple fact that access to computers after an event will reduce daily until there are none left you will get a much better return on a few hours learning something primitive such as keeping bees or chickens or even a mechanical skill like metalwork or woodwork. Those skills will last a long time.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin