Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Protection or Expansion
17 January 2012, 10:05,
Protection or Expansion
Okay, here's the scene:

There's been huge explosions in the city, buildings ruined, people killed, it's like Dresden in WW2. All the cities have been attacked in WW3 (which here on in must be refered to as WW£ because it'll be all about money). The food supply is strained, but you are safe with your friends in your culdesac, compund, street, or however.

Maybe your friends and family banded together in the street you live in, blocked off the ends by parking cars there, so that nobody could get in. The walls are all high and strong, and all the fences have barbed wire keeping them safe and secure.

Everyone in you street has banded together to protect the weaker older generation, but again, the walls are strong, fences secure, etc.

Over half the population of the cities were killed in the bombings.

The area is down to martial law.

You have enough water for 6 months by skillfully rationing it. Enough food for 5 months.

2 months have passed since the fighting stopped. You've not heard much commotion in the area.

Nobody is unwell or injured in your group.

What do you do next? Do you expand the fences, make the area more secure? Do you protect your area longer? Do you hope that the government will come and save you all? Do you seperate the group and set up another camp with the hope to attract other survivors to rebuild society/the area?
17 January 2012, 11:50,
RE: Protection or Expansion
You examine all of those options and then choose the best ones, it doesn't have to be one, for your sitution. You don't mention planting food, or the locals, big gang or nobody. There are a lot of variables and they need to be considered. Oh, and you should be doing that eery day. Evaluating, collecting intel.

Who is in charge? A group, individual?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 January 2012, 12:16,
(17 January 2012, 11:50)Skean Dhude Wrote: Who is in charge? A group, individual?

You, the reader/survivalist are the one that united everyone around you and created a team.

My answer: I would get a group of 4 people and send them out to reckey the area and bring back intel on the area, situation, food and water, and other resources.

There would be no point expanding the area of the 'compound' until acceptable man-power was sourced to help protect any expanded outer walls.

The recon group would be all very fit. I would make sure I was a part of that group. By the time the group is ready to leave the compound, the current members left on site would know their jobs and what to do in emergency situations.

Then it would be a 100 meter circular sweep of the area. Then a 200 meter sweep. Come back, and explain the situation, any findings and the alike. This situation would then lead to a 1km straight line over 8 points. The 4 compass points, and their midpoints. Reason being that it would mean the compound was always going to recieve regular enforcement throughout the day, if anything were to happen. Also, it would allow for dropping off any resources that may have been found. It also stops the compound from being left weak-handed for an extended period of time.
17 January 2012, 12:26,
(17 January 2012, 12:16)Scythe13 Wrote: My answer: I would get a group of 4 people and send them out to reckey the area and bring back intel on the area, situation, food and water, and other resources.

The recon group would be all very fit. I would make sure I was a part of that group. By the time the group is ready to leave the compound, the current members left on site would know their jobs and what to do in emergency situations.

Where precisely are you going to magic up 4 very fit people ? C,mon seriously 99% of us will be limited to surviving with our immediate families and that will be it.

17 January 2012, 12:30,
(17 January 2012, 12:26)NorthernRaider Wrote: Where precisely are you going to magic up 4 very fit people ? C,mon seriously 99% of us will be limited to surviving with our immediate families and that will be it.

I'm from Bristol, Mr NR. We're already forming a group! Stick that in your sheeple way of thinking ;-p
17 January 2012, 12:34,
Now then Scythe, one thing you CANT call NR is a sheeple, he's been a prepper since long before you were born, LONG before you were born, so have a little respect PLEEESE!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 January 2012, 12:38, (This post was last modified: 17 January 2012, 12:38 by Scythe13.)
(17 January 2012, 12:34)bigpaul Wrote: Now then Scythe, one thing you CANT call NR is a sheeple, he's been a prepper since long before you were born, LONG before you were born, so have a little respect PLEEESE!

That's a fair comment.

But having a Bristol based team would be the way we would have 4 fit people.
Sorry NR
17 January 2012, 12:39, (This post was last modified: 17 January 2012, 12:42 by NorthernRaider.)
(17 January 2012, 12:30)Scythe13 Wrote:
(17 January 2012, 12:26)NorthernRaider Wrote: Where precisely are you going to magic up 4 very fit people ? C,mon seriously 99% of us will be limited to surviving with our immediate families and that will be it.

I'm from Bristol, Mr NR. We're already forming a group! Stick that in your sheeple way of thinking ;-p

You are posting a theoretical scenario about playing ramboSmile then suddenly you decide its actually Bristolabad and your current real world plans, Your winding my up yer buggerBig Grin
(17 January 2012, 12:38)Scythe13 Wrote:
(17 January 2012, 12:34)bigpaul Wrote: Now then Scythe, one thing you CANT call NR is a sheeple, he's been a prepper since long before you were born, LONG before you were born, so have a little respect PLEEESE!

That's a fair comment.

But having a Bristol based team would be the way we would have 4 fit people.
Sorry NR

Guys you can call me anything you like honestly Smile providing it furthers the debate and learning process, Right you sodding sheep molesting git , about your postBig GrinTongue
Whats it to be a hypothetical scenario with you leading an Alpha team on patrol fighting the mutants from Cardiff, Or is it you going out with perhaps one of two other preppers to sniff around because alybear told you to?

17 January 2012, 13:22, (This post was last modified: 17 January 2012, 13:25 by Scythe13.)
It would be both.

Think about your situation. If you were in that situation, with the people and resources around you. That is how I meant it to be.

With being in Bristol. We are in the process of forming a team, so we would be in that situation. If you have a big family, or people near by that you know and trust, maybe people from the gym or even your neighbours, those would be the people in the scenario for you.

It was meant to be a 'specific to the individual's position' scenario.
So here in Bristol, we would have each other. I'd have AlyBear, her brothers and parents. Both her brothers are quite healthy and know the area well. I'd want to be in the team to get to know the area better. I don't know it very well in a pre-SHTF situation. So I'd make sure I wasn't caught out of my depth by being a part of the external team.
17 January 2012, 14:21,
LOL, NR, it is a hypothetical situation, what is wrong with it being, hypothetically, in Bristol.

Scythe,

You answered your own question then. Think, gather intelligence, make a decision and then organise a plan to meet that target. Beyond that it is all on the situation.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin