Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technology odd innit how it creeps up on you
28 April 2016, 11:09,
Technology odd innit how it creeps up on you
Been reducing / adapting and updating both my EDC gear and my GHB gear as my preps change, my confidence in technology grows and my general approach to prepping keeps evolving.

I noted I am making far more notes and recording stuff than ever before so I decided to add a very small increase in my recce / intel gathering capability, and I'm finally getting more comfortable with technology, and on top of it all I decided it was high time to sort out the stuff I EDC cos my pants and jacket were getting very heavy.

So on EDC front I have pruned things down a lot to
1 Pocket knife ( folder)
2 Flashlight but spare batts now in GHB
3 Wallet
4 Tactical pen but notebook now in GHB
5 Shades / Specs but cleaner now in GHB
6 Watch and Butane Lighter
7 Mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy core in Armoured case)
8 Gerber Artifact mini tool replacing Multi tool now in GHB
9 Kerchief / Bandana.

Moving on to modern technology, I guess most of you will be light years ahead of me on this gear but I am trying to catch up Smile

So now depending on where I am going and what i am doing this is what gets used now.

1 The Samsung Galaxy Core loaded with Camera, GPS, Radio, Maps, Voice Search, BBC NEWS 24 and Google Earth.
2 16GB USB 2 Flash drive stick loaded with useful stuff
3 USB lead M toF
4 Adaptor 12Vdc Fag lighter socket to USB
5 Levin Portable PV panel kit
6 Samsung Headphone / Antenna combo for Galaxy Core
7 Samsung N200 Notbook (If needed)

The most useless bits of kit I ever carried were the Baofeng UV5 radios as they were never needed in that role, but will be better used as comms after TSHTF, I got rid of three sets and kept the other three.

The rest of the GHB is as follows
8 FAK and Script meds
9 2 x 500 mil Sig water bottles
10 Rations inc Jerky and glucose tabs
11 Pry Bar, Multi Tool (from EDC) Sharpener (from EDC)
12 Spare CR123A Batteries (half from EDC)
13 Notebook
14 Maps, Area Guides & Compass
15 Paracord- Cable ties - Insulating tape
16 25mm Mini binos + Laser Range Finder (DIY type not mil spec)
17 FFP3 / N95 Disposable Masks
18 Ziplock Bags
19 Wet wipes, Towelette, Soap bar, Toothbrush, Gum, Razor
20 Sharpie and Tactical pen
21 Spare CR123A Flashlight
22 Spare Polarised Shades
23 Spare Folding knife
24 Spare Butane Lighter
25 Light sticks (white)

And that is where I stand now with my current kit but as always its constantly under review.

So has your kits changed much in recent times? if so please share as I probably will learn something useful Smile

29 April 2016, 10:00,
RE: Technology odd innit how it creeps up on you
NR - Which Levin Portable PV panel kit do you use? The little one or the two panel 13w on the back of the rucksack?
29 April 2016, 10:07,
The 13 watt Sol-Wing twin panel, one of the best doofahs I ever blagged.

29 April 2016, 18:05,
GHB thought process:

Ruck not to exceed 10kg as a constant.

Serves as contingency gear SAR scenarios, works for urban E&E, tactical movement “ get home” situation.

If must leave vehicle and walk home from work, cannot cover the 100 km in less than five-six days in a dangerous civil unrest scenario, being pursued/hunted, or if sick/injured. Ruck has essentials for concealment, shelter, insulation, heat, hydration, and calories to sustain 7 days of stealthy movement out of an urban area into the country.

“Snivel Gear “ :

Smallest compressed mummy bag (Wiggy’s) in ruck, polyester fleece jacket and pants, Gore Tex wind/rain suit, bivi bag (or ruck itself as shelter to save your toes/feet), cut down pad and USGI fabric backed casualty blanket, poncho and poncho liner (woobie).

Heat/Cook:
Natick cooker nested in canteen cup, Esbit fuel, in winter also Trangia burner and fuel bottle. Winter consideration for having to melt/boil water for snow.

Cooking: canteen cup used as basic pot, HeavyCover to conserve heat, used to melt water from snow, then boil for sterilization, hydrate freeze dried LRP-CW rations, make tea, coffee, soup. Maintain winter warmth, aiding hydration, calories, minerals, protein/fat.

Food: Ten pocket rations for quick energy, requiring no preparation, MetX bars. For hot chow six freeze dried LRP-CW rations. Protein, fats important in cold, longer lasting/ slower burning calories than carbs. 500g WASA multi-grain crispbread, 500g peanut butter. Ten dry soup packets, ten instant coffee sachets or tea bags. Maintain not less than 10% ratio each of protein and fat to total carbs.

Hydration: (2) qts. Water daily for meal prep and hydration as minimum. 1 metre drinking tube and Frontier FilterProPlus (military version) to replenish supply on the march. Use two flexible bottles to reduce “sloshing” noise for stealth. Canteen pouches insulate to slow freezing, aid attachment to ruck, protect skin from freezing to cold metal, use "hot water bottle" in sleeping bag. Canteen/cup/cooker/hydration system, serves as pot, stove/fire to heat water/melt snow/ice. Mandatory to have reliable long term method of purification, Frontier Pro Plus filter and supplement with Betadyne from FAK.

Pack - Camelbak Striker
Lg. trash bag pack cover
550 cord
Mora fixed blade knife
Fire Kit (Bic, Ferro, Vaseline infused cotton balls, Esbit tabs)
Petzl head lamp & spare batteries .
Wool watch cap
D3A leather shells and wool glove liners
First Aid Kit
Gerber Saw
U-Dig-It folding spade

Pocket EDC Gear
Mil-K-818 utility folder
Chapstick
Rope Cuffs
Bic Lighter
Fenix E01, ferro rod, striker and Suunto orienteering compass around neck
Map
Bandana
550 Cord
Cell phone

On Belt
Mora Knife
Belt EDC Kit (Frontier Filter Pro Plus, drinking tube, Signal Mirror, Whistle, BIC, Ferro and Skoal can full of Vaseline infused cotton balls, Esbit tabs, nylon decoy line, demolition wire, cable ties, spare Fenix EO1, button compass,
Leatherman Wave

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
29 April 2016, 20:15,
I notice nobody ever seems to carry a candle in there GHB's I have always considered a candle to be a staple , light the candle with your bic/matches then light the fire with your candle...simples , when I used to have space issues with the obligatory baccy tin survival kit I used to use birthday cake candles due to there size but the burn time was crap , I have used the magnifying dimple on my silva compass base plate to light a candle on more than one occasion.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
29 April 2016, 20:24,
I tend to use light sticks instead of candles as the better quality ones now last 12 hours and are safer than naked flames, but light sticks sre an absolute bastard to cook on Smile

19 May 2016, 11:21, (This post was last modified: 20 May 2016, 22:28 by Lightspeed.)
Update, I'm seriously impressed with this Levin 13 watt folding panel kit I bought, It works even indoors so long as its close to the window, it has fully charged in the last 24 hours my Samsung Cell Phone, A generic PC pad thing, Wife's I5s, and even a rechargeable emergency FM radio. I already had a "13 watt to 12vdc" rated panel for topping up car batteries its over 15 years old and the new one though rated the same "5watt"but 5vdc output works much faster in much duller conditions.

Its currently just hanging from a curtain rail at the den window, its not even pointing south, its just about WSW facing and its dull but its charging another FM radio with a built in micro usb port.

I may try setting up the big 100watt 17 volt PV panel on the same window ledge and see how well it does indoors but close to a window. If they can be suitably used indoors close to windows it could possibly improve OPSEC as from the street unless you look hard you can hardly see the panel in the window area.

19 May 2016, 11:28, (This post was last modified: 20 May 2016, 22:29 by Lightspeed.)
Correction and apology, typing without thinking and proof reading, the panels are both 13 watt, put it down to senilitySmile if a mod could edit or delete or correct my post twould be appreciated.

This is the kit I'm referring to
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Levin-Ultra-sli...+panel+kit

19 May 2016, 12:35,
That looks like a good bit of kit there NR the efficiency of 22% is top spec beyond that we talking NASA.

Ok, so tell me more NR I am close to getting one.

How long you had it?

Is it durable?

I see its not water proof would you say a good/fair/poor resistance?

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
19 May 2016, 12:45,
Had it over a year now, its been caught out in showers twice so far when I forgot to bring it back in, but it was not affected, I would says its fairly water resistant. Son took it with him to Download Festival last year and it kept his and his GFs I phones charged ( it has two USB sockets), it pissed down at one point at download but i honestly dont know it it was being used then. I tend to use it myself at home or in the car when we are out for the day, i just put it on the dashboard or parcel shelf and it charges the phone of wifes Ipad thing(hidden in glovebox)