Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you keep food critters
11 May 2016, 13:11,
RE: Do you keep food critters
(11 May 2016, 12:56)Tartar Horde Wrote: As a child my Dad used to keep Rabbits for the pot. Granny had Chickens.

My Dad kept "Flemish" Rabbits as they tended to be quite "Meaty" just started with a Male and Female, and they bred like!!!!!!! very easy to look after, and with good food are very tasty. They produce great manure and don't take up a lot of room either, and they provide a constant supply of meat that is very lean and healthy, altogether a great animal to start with. The problem is many people balk at the idea of killing "flopsy". Plus if you know how to skin and prepare the pelts correctly, Rabbits have a great coat. For those of you who don't know "Coney" is Rabbit fur. Rabbits fed on "pellet" type foods take on the aroma of that feed and to me have a more "gamey" taste and smell to the meat. If you feed your Rabbits on good fresh "greens" with fruit like Apple etc the meat becomes delicately flavoured and is very sweet. A good Rabbit casserole is a classic. I crush Garlic, Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano and Olive Oil in a Mortar, then make small cuts all over the Rabbit and massage the mixture in. Leave overnight in the fridge, and then roast slowly in an oven surrounded by Onions and Peppers etc----you will love it trust me.

Messages In This Thread
Do you keep food critters - by NorthernRaider - 10 May 2016, 16:43
RE: Do you keep food critters - by Tincup - 10 May 2016, 22:48
RE: Do you keep food critters - by Tartar Horde - 11 May 2016, 13:11
RE: Do you keep food critters - by Steve - 12 May 2016, 22:04
RE: Do you keep food critters - by MaryN - 11 May 2016, 19:28