Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walking Tractors
25 May 2016, 17:37,
Walking Tractors
I have just discovered a neat and old-school type of smallholding workhorse called a Walking Tractor.

These ones are used in Central Europe and have an impressive reputation for reliability and ruggedness. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m56H3nflk4M

Has anyone on here got any experience of using this sort of gear?

Frankly, I'm very tempted.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 May 2016, 18:14,
RE: Walking Tractors
Rototillers in the US, rotovators in the UK, common as muck I used one to convert a clay garden plot into fertile well drained food growing space at one of our previous homes. I dump a couple of tons of compost and lots and lots of backs of sharp sand onto the plot and used the rotovator for hours to blend it all in breaking up the clay and mixing it with the sand and compost.

25 May 2016, 19:36,
It's a rotavator. We have a much bigger one. It does exactly what NR says it does. Sooooo much easier than hand digging.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
25 May 2016, 23:04,
I have one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO1svV6cnK0 but I never use it. For a little bit more money you can get a compact tractor, and it's much more versatile.
26 May 2016, 07:10,
Thanks for the replies.... lots more to look at now.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 May 2016, 13:25,
When I was stationed on Cyprus I saw a few carts being towed (on roads) by modified rotavator lol
ATB
Harry
26 May 2016, 13:32,
There also used to be a plough attachment available for those old Lister engine units

26 May 2016, 15:07,
the one I linked to has attacments for plough, rotavator, grass cutter, and ride on trailer.

Pretty versatile, but I like Steve's one more.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 May 2016, 15:23,
I did see these at the ROYAL WELSH SHOW last year ...sit on job trailer as the package and also showed a pile of attachments, price was very reasonable and looked well made , the only thing that put me off was it was petrol.

If your working in small tight areas i would think they would be ideal.....Question for Steve...
what's the fuel consumption like.
26 May 2016, 15:58,
(26 May 2016, 15:23)Straight Shooter Wrote: ....Question for Steve...
what's the fuel consumption like.

Sorry, no idea, I don't use it. It has a 11hp Honda petrol engine, so plenty of power. The next model up has a Lombardini diesel engine, electric start, but it's a fair bit heavier.

I realise that many people have small plots, but honestly the compact tractor is much more useful and not hugely more expensive. Mine has a 21hp Mitsubishi diesel engine, sips fuel, starts every time, 4x4, diff lock, three point hitch, standard 540rpm PTO ( can also be used at different speeds ) etc.

I use a big steel tool safe on the hitch to carry stuff around, for bigger stuff I pull a two ton trailer with it, sometimes both together. It ploughs, rotavates, drags, runs the tedder and windrow, and might ( I'll find out soon ) run the baler too.

You can find one for a bit over £2k.

[Image: 20150808_195924_zpsffyanqo0.jpg]