Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radio Communication needs, wants and fairy tale dreams
6 June 2016, 08:24,
RE: Radio Communication needs, wants and fairy tale dreams
(6 June 2016, 00:50)CharlesHarris Wrote: In UK are noncommercial boats permitted to use VHF marine band radio without a licence?

While use of marine radio on land is not permitted, limited ship to shore comunication between your boat and home would be permissible. A 25watt radio on the boat with half-wave dipole up high on the mast and a similar base radio at home with roof mounted antenna would have good range. Even portable VHF would do well with a base or mobile whip antenna, performing similarly to 2-meter ham.

As far as I know Charles, there is no exemption from licensing for VHF ship to shore, except in emergency of course.

Nemisis' boat is on a river I think, so the depth of river valleys and height of obstructions between his home and wherever the boat might be will affect choice.

I agree that VHF is likely to be the best option, especially with efficient antennas mounted high on both the house and the boat. Re VHF antennas, that might be suitable, I have a Diamond brand VHF/UHF mobile whip that might be a good choice for the boat as it is able to be folded over 90 degrees without tools....maybe useful for passing under bridges/tunnels etc. Its a relatively expensive antenna but very efficient and well constructed. Although a ham antenna it also gives near 1:1 SWR on PMR446 frequencies too.

To give an idea of range using VHF through car mounted whip antenna in your approximate area, With 10w I can reliably reach the Clacton on Sea repeater form the A12 on the London side of Chelmsford.

On VHF and UHF it might be useful to operate through existing Ham repeaters too. I think the Danbury repeater might be the one that will help you? GB3DA & GB3ER See UK Coverage maps at https://www.ukrepeater.net/2m.htm
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

Messages In This Thread
RE: Radio Communication needs, wants and fairy tale dreams - by Lightspeed - 6 June 2016, 08:24