Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
compost in incinerator bins.
15 June 2016, 00:08,
compost in incinerator bins.
Does anyone know if it would be possible to make compost in one of those garden galvanised incinerator bins,
I am worried about enticing rats to the garden as i have a field that is waste behind the garden then a farm, i plan to use grass cuttings i think, and think the bins are off the ground and have holes ready made, and they are cheap under £20 at the local DIY shop what do you think ?
The expensive ones seem not really worth it, flimsy and put together and the others seem rat attractions
i could buy 5 of those bins for less than i would pay for one off the ground, i know they do not tumble but they would produce at a rate of one at a time.
5 would produce 500 litres so not bad.
15 June 2016, 06:58,
RE: compost in incinerator bins.
You say that you will be using grass cuttings, on their own they will create a big slimmy mess, do you intend to add anything else to the mix?
Composting works best with a good balanced mix of greens (grass clipings) and browns (High carbon material like straw, woody stems etc) and in large enough quantities (about a cubic metre) to build up heat.

Rats will only turn up if there is a food source, such as kitchen waste.

I compost everything and do get rats usually during the winter when the heap is at its coolest, but I use a walking compost heap system that continually disturbs the rats.
15 June 2016, 09:30,
Don't forget to pee in the bin when you add stuff.
ATB
Harry
15 June 2016, 09:46,
(15 June 2016, 06:58)T-oddity Wrote: You say that you will be using grass cuttings, on their own they will create a big slimmy mess, do you intend to add anything else to the mix?
Composting works best with a good balanced mix of greens (grass clipings) and browns (High carbon material like straw, woody stems etc) and in large enough quantities (about a cubic metre) to build up heat.

Rats will only turn up if there is a food source, such as kitchen waste.

I compost everything and do get rats usually during the winter when the heap is at its coolest, but I use a walking compost heap system that continually disturbs the rats.

yes everything else except kitchen scraps and a compost acceletaror.
15 June 2016, 09:47,
(15 June 2016, 09:30)harrypalmer Wrote: Don't forget to pee in the bin when you add stuff.

i can add rabbit waste and accelerator, not so keen on doing that.
15 June 2016, 09:50,
Use four pallets fastened together with a carpet on top.loo roll tubes egg boxes grass veg peelings etc..no waste meat or egg shells as these attract rats.l have four of the black round ones two made from wheelybins and a big one made from a large industrial wheelybins
15 June 2016, 10:36,
(15 June 2016, 09:50)Stewart Wrote: Use four pallets fastened together with a carpet on top.loo roll tubes egg boxes grass veg peelings etc..no waste meat or egg shells as these attract rats.l have four of the black round ones two made from wheelybins and a big one made from a large industrial wheelybins

did you drill holes in them first ?
15 June 2016, 14:00,
Sorry UES, I did not know your female, however this is worth getting even if you only use it on your winter camping trips

http://www.shewee.com/all-shewee-products you can be one of the lads and pee standing up.
ATB
Harry
15 June 2016, 15:22,
Drilled holes in the bottom of the bins for drainage and for worms to get in
15 June 2016, 16:04,
I have seen some home made tumbling composters on you tube from plastic barrels i would be ok drilling holes but the door space looks tricky