Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spare small chest freezer storage ideas.
19 June 2021, 20:30,
RE: spare small chest freezer storage ideas.
True enough but a bit of protein never goes amiss.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 June 2021, 08:10,
never been able to store flour for that long, it all goes "mealy" after awhile.
in a SHTF situation whats needed is some form of natural alternative.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 June 2021, 11:35,
That’s the reason I store grain in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers .....will last up to thirty years .....all I have to do is mill / grind it .....then bake some bread .......simples ! Then grow more ! Or mill some rice or rolled Oates .
20 June 2021, 11:41,
I'd like to find some alternative "flour", something thats available in the wild, maybe some form of flatbread say.
post SHTF I think our diet will seriously alter anyway, too much bread and cakes is not good for the human gut.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 June 2021, 21:20,
Well Paul there exist such bits of vegetable matter.

They are called wheat, barley, rye, oats, maize and rice.

Originally they were wild crops and humans decided they wanted a stable supply, so they started planting and harvesting them in the same fields where they had grown wild.

That was called agriculture.

To protect the crops from wild animals they sent the kids out to chase the critters away from the fields. Suddenly you had a supply of meat on call.

That was called herding.

Together the planting and herding gave a stable food supply and there was no need to move around searching for the "wild stuff" any longer.

And just like magic you have an agricultural revolution! Been there, done that, in 8000bc.

And now you have started civilization up all over again.
22 June 2021, 09:16,
I'm talking about post SHTF Mort, post collapse we wont be ploughing huge areas for cultivation.
I was trying to find if there was a serious natural alternative maybe something we could use instead of farmed grain.
although probably post collapse our diet will alter considerably to take in the physical labour we would need to do.
the grains of which you speak were originally grasses and strains were refined until we got the grains we use today so maybe that where I need to look.
22 June 2021, 10:49,
BP, You only need large areas if you are feeding a lot of people. I've seen smallholding with much smaller areas put aside.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 June 2021, 11:02,
I'm used to allotment sized growing.
22 June 2021, 12:05,
and that is fine. Imagine one or two allotment for grain. I know some gardeners with four or five allotments.
Skean Dhude
22 June 2021, 12:50,
four or five allotments is insane, one on its own is a lot of work.
I've had allotments most of my adult life, just not currently which is why I'm looking for land.