Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multi-Tool help
18 January 2012, 14:12,
Multi-Tool help
Hi everyone

I'm looking for advice on wha multi-tool to purchase.

One of the main things I'm looking for are the wire cutters. In a post SHTF situation, there will be fences and barbed wire to get through.

The other features are a bonus. I was thinking of a normal set of pliars, but the weight difference isn't massive, so it makes more sense to have more tools in the same storage area.

Think of it as a space contraint item, which it is.

Stuck between whether to go for Leathermam or Gerber.

Anyone able to shed some light on the situation for me?

I'm leaning more towards Leatherman just because they are meant to have better build quality. Is that right or have I heard wrong?
18 January 2012, 14:32,
RE: Multi-Tool help
I prefer the Gerber, its one handed operation is a massive plus, and its capable of being unassembled without trying to find 6 point torx security bits as you need with the Wave etc, plus the waves actions are very stiff even after being oiled.

18 January 2012, 14:33,
What tools you carry around with you are normally for short term work. To enable you to escape a situation and get to safety. The wire cutters on a multi tool will be fine for a few cuts but you want proper cutters for your stores. If that is the use then either would do you. I would suggest you go to a shop and hold them, look at the rest of the tools, do you need a corkscrew? and see which is best for your needs and pocket.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 January 2012, 14:44,
I'm planning an urban tools pack, which will have proper wire clippers in, along with bigger tools. But I'm looking for something to put in my EDC, GHB and BOB.
18 January 2012, 14:47,
The gerber has changable and rotatable triangular tungsten steel wire cutter heads, but the Leatherman just has ordinary wire cutter scissor action.

18 January 2012, 14:49,
(18 January 2012, 14:47)NorthernRaider Wrote: The gerber has changable and rotatable triangular tungsten steel wire cutter heads, but the Leatherman just has ordinary wire cutter scissor action.

Which Gerber is that?
18 January 2012, 15:00, (This post was last modified: 18 January 2012, 15:06 by NorthernRaider.)
The Leg end Smile
Comparison
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43478117@N00/6720120495/

18 January 2012, 17:00,
Thanks NR, it lookes and seems awesome!

Only one problem, because I'm putting one into each bag, the price I've found it for (£100+) would be more than I'm happy to pass by.

Any of the other Gerbers as good? I'm hearing great things from Leatherman's new strengthened wire clippers, so am leaning that way a bit.
18 January 2012, 18:01,
(18 January 2012, 17:00)Scythe13 Wrote: Thanks NR, it lookes and seems awesome!

Only one problem, because I'm putting one into each bag, the price I've found it for (£100+) would be more than I'm happy to pass by.

Any of the other Gerbers as good? I'm hearing great things from Leatherman's new strengthened wire clippers, so am leaning that way a bit.

Actually the tool I EDC by choice is the £35 Gerber Multiplier 400, I love it.

18 January 2012, 18:04,
Had leathermans had 2 blades break when cutting they said it was a fault with the metal. I most admit they did replace both blades free af charge.