Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scanners
30 August 2016, 11:52,
Scanners
Hi, I have been looking at the ham radio info and chatter between some of you here. But personally I don't think I could spend the time and money for a hobby I would not use unless the SHTF scenario.
But I do see the need for information if an event did take place, so I was looking at a cheaper more budget aproach, maybe a hand held scanner?

I was looking at the Maplin scanners at around the £50 - £60 pound mark with rechargable batteries. That can pick up Aircraft, amature radio, AM-FM

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tsc-100r-200-c...nner-n20kq
http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/gadgets-toys-a...f-scanners

Would some thing like this be of any use in listening in on whats happend during an event?
I would be greatfull for any advice from the radio ham community here.
Would these allow me to listen into the radio hams?
Thanks in advance.
30 August 2016, 12:51,
RE: Scanners
Ali, most clubs charge about £25 for the ham foundation course including test fees. Its more of a quiz than a test, easy to pass and you have your ticket for life even if you don't use it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAOFENG-UV-5R-...Swgk1XFurk will get you up and running on a couple of ham bands and also the legal public PMR channels plus all the BBC FM stations.
ATB
Harry
30 August 2016, 13:41,
Ali, you are right. Expensive and time consuming, unless there is an emergency.

Not having communications equipment, or having it but not knowing how to use it could be a problem after a big event.

What HP recommends ( UV5r) is a good building block. Add a shortwave capable receiver to that to have a wide rage of listening options and the UV5r will also give you the ability to communicate on two Ham bands, marine, and PMR446.

See radio communications PREPCOM standard on the main SUK site.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 August 2016, 14:10,
Thank you both, very interesting. The price is very acceptable and from what I read many people are buying it for emergency reasons only. They have no intent on transmiting with it unless in case of emergency.

I see amazon sell the 5RE for £21 but it can't pick up on CB radio or AM, which might be really useful.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baofeng-136-174...B00AHQGW9A

I can see these either flooding the market and catching the eye of the authorities to only sell to licence holders.
But £21 is cheaper than a scanner, with the added bonus of transmit if desperate, I guess two of these could act as a really good walky talky set for a family.

Any other thoughts before I buy one to store it away with my other prep items?
(I can only see the "event information" received, and what is going on as being useful, to bug in or bug out for example. Trusting anyone in a chat would be a no no I think.)
30 August 2016, 18:39,
Hmm think I need to ponder about this some more, the need for a licence to use this radio brings the price up to the scanner price range anyway.
Many of the people chatting about these radios all say its difficult to set up, some taking two days to find the info and set up stuff, needing to by program leads etc, plus the distance for transmit can be limited by hills, mountains etc.
I just want to hear whats going on, not discuss and inadvertantly give my location away.
So i'm looking for a scanner that picks up everything - wide mhz range with AM-FM-VHF-UHF ETC. Who knows what stuff frequences might be jammed out!
30 August 2016, 20:16,
Training and the Boafeng are still cheaper than some single use scanner.

Give your location away? Nonsense, won't happen.

If you just want to listen get a multiband receiver, Sony do some nice ones but not in your budget, look at Grundig for cheap options.
ATB
Harry
31 August 2016, 12:22, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2016, 12:24 by Lightspeed.)
Ali:

Yes, the Baofengs are somewhat complex to set-up. But unless you have experience with complex radios, you will find that setting up a scanner will be equally complex.

You do not need a license to own, keep or use a UV5r. In this context <<use>> means monitoring and scanning. A license is only needed for transmitting.

I'd recommend you get one (a uv5r) and invest some time working out how to use it. (It is not obligatory to buy a programming cable either as they can be programmed from the unit itself)

Re shortwave receivers: Even one of these will be a useful tool. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Band-Radi...Sw1DtXKw5I
Although pretty crude, it will be capable of picking up broadcasts worldwide. From time to time Superdrug do even more crude versions of this receiver, often knocking them out for less than 5 quid. My last one is now in the hands of a young nephew, and he's able to pick up stuff from all over Europe, Africa, Russia, China, USA and South America :-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 August 2016, 18:41,
This is the portable receiver I keep in my Get Home and travel bag. Very affordable, runs on common AA batteries.
They do export orders.

http://www.countycomm.com/gp5ssb.html

These radios are remodified for a specific client request with the help of Edison Fong PHD. We have a few left over to offer to our consumer preppers. The radio covers medium wave 520-1710 kHz shortwave 2300-30000 kHz and the FM band. Unlike most radios in this price category, the GP-5/SSB provides LSB and USB single sideband reception. It has a very unique Easy Tuning Mode (ETM). ETM does more the usual ATS. It scans all frequencies without taking up the memory spaces. So you get quick access to all local stations. Great for the traveller. There are also 450 regular memories (100 AM, 100 FM and 250 shortwave) available for tuning into your favorite stations. Another unique feature of the radio is its removable high sensitivity external AM ferrite antenna. This directional antenna clearly enhances AM band reception. The CountyComm GP-5/SSB even employs DSP (Digital Signal Processing) technology, improving clarity and tone quality. There is even an adjustable sleep timer.

The new GP-5 SSB is improved over the legendary GP-4L & GP-5 DSP. This radio has been completely redesigned by our engineers and the the factory to be a important part of both your survival kit and your fun kit. The performance of this radio surpasses radios costing several times more.

Specs:

Radio: 225 hrs at 40% Volume ( 50% Increased Runtime )
FM – Stereo via stereo earphones / MW / LW / SW
FM – Stereo via stereo earphones / MW / LW / SW
FM Frequency range adjustable (76 / 87 / 87.5 ~ 108 MHz)
Antenna Length 18 Inches
450 Station Memories
Multi Tuning Methods: ATS, ETM, Auto scan tuning with 5 seconds pre-listening for both frequency & memory (VF / VM), Manual tuning 9K/10K AM tuning step selectable
Silicon Labs Si4734 DSP chipset
LCD Backlight
Key lock function
External AM antenna Jack
Built-in rechargeable function (USB jack, 5V) ( can use rechargeable batteries )
Size: 53 (W) x 159 (H) x 26 (D) mm
Modes : AM, FM, SW, USB, LSB
FM: 87 – 108 or 76 – 108 MHz
MW/ AM: 522 - 1620 (9K tuning step) or 520 – 1710 kHz (10K tuning step )
SW: Extended Frequency Range to 1711-29999 ( higher and lower coverage )
LW frequency: 150 – 522 kHz (available for 9K tuning step only)
Sterile Fiberboard Packaging Per Contract Requirements

Accessories include:
Stereo earphones
External AM antenna
Soft antenna
Carrying pouch
User manual

Power Requirements:
4.5 Volts DC via side jack (no adapter included)
3 each "AA" batteries ( Batteries not included )

Dimensions: 6.20" X 2.05" X .80"
Weight: 85 Grams not including batteries
Speaker: 40 mm in diameter, 4 Ohms, .5 watt ( 2 times the ouput of the GP-4L )
Earphone Jack: 3.5 MM, Earphones Included

LIMITED SUPPLY FROM SURPLUS CONTRACT

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
31 August 2016, 19:19,
Nice radio suggested by CH, especially the SSB version.

Experience tells me that you should expect the final price paid for one landed in UK will be the Dollar value, with a Pound sign substituting the Dollar sign:-(
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 August 2016, 22:48,
Very greatful for all the input (and time taken). I will do my research and look into this in more detail, but I think the multiband scanner might be the best option for myself.
I like the idea of the uv5r, but its limited in its bandwidth options. Plus the thought of putting my name and address on some ham radio licence list does not sound such a good plan, even the FBI have been hacked, and too many radio hams are known preppers. Its a ripe place to look when people get desperate during an event. I remember back in the day locating other CB radio users just by the signal strength. I realise I could just receive with a uv5r, but why limit myself to a small radio area, with no MW,LW, AM, etc.
Very interesting topic this, that has brought up many twists and turns for me.