Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help please?
28 November 2016, 18:50,
RE: Help please?
There is also the choice of obtaining some of the Survivorman series.

Less did good work while that show was airing and produced some usable film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorman

But alas, even Less has succumbed to the prangs of insanity and taken to chasing the wily Sasquatch through the British Colombian mountains.
29 November 2016, 13:24,
I enjoyed the early programmes Les did.

Ray is the best of the bunch for skills, no BS from him and a nice fella to meet in person.
ATB
Harry
29 November 2016, 15:40,
There is one more source which I would like to contribute. Those are the video works of Dr. Rob Hood.

http://www.survival.com/

Ron passed away a few years back, but while alive he accomplished something that was unique among "survival instructors". He acquired a BS and MA degrees in outdoor recreation and was nearly finished with his Phd when he died, and sat a position at the University of California where he taught college level courses in bushcraft and survival for almost 20 years.

Ron was a Veteran of the SE Asia war, was actually a real SF type and had done some deep behind the lies work in his younger years. In spite of that he kept his outdoor work on the civilian side of things and stayed clear of the tactical prepping part of things. Not that firearms are absent from his films. they are there, but they are viewed as tools for survival.

His videos are extremely high quality and due to his experiences as a university professor his teaching skills on film are vastly superior to most of the lot. The films offered by both him and his wife are excellent and have won awards from several instructional film societies.

I have a half dozen of his works and find all of the both entertaining and informative. they are the kind of thing I like to play as back ground "white noise" when I am working around the house.

Most of the films are set in the Rocky Mountains of the western U.S., which is much like the Alps, but the urban survival series is pretty much universal to anywhere that is dominated by concrete and large buildings. And Ron always attempted to make his teachings as universally usable in any environment; clothing, how to pick a campsite, firemaking and all the usual stuff.

He has several films dedicated to trapping with sets and snares, which is almost universal in application, and he spends a good deal of tie on primitive fishing.

BTW, if you want to know what I look like then take a look at Ron and add a couple of years. People have accused us of being twins separated at birth.
29 November 2016, 23:28,
Too gung ho for any real credibility, sorry mate.
ATB
Harry
30 November 2016, 02:13,
Depends on your definition of Gung Ho?

And your definition of credibility.

Much like saying a retired SAS operator, with a Phd, teaching survival skills for the Health and Recreation Department at Oxford is not up to your standards.
30 November 2016, 10:44,
Gung Ho? typical yank chest beaters, this is why Ray is just so much better.
ATB
Harry
30 November 2016, 18:54,
Humm, interesting,

So anyone that stands tall, walks proudly, has a firm handshake and is without an RP accent is a "chest beater" and not credible.

Why does that not surprise me?
30 November 2016, 19:42,
Anyone can walk tall, et al, but yanks tend tend to talk bullocks at times. The proud handshake is simply that and nothing more. Lets be honest, Canterbury etc are jokes in the real world of survival, amateurs at best, the UK has https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls what a total knob.
ATB
Harry
30 November 2016, 23:00,
Whilst in Sweden,I caught more fish than I could ever eat simply by towing a lure while simultaneously paddling kayak at high speed.90% of catch was Northern Pike with a sprinkling of Roach,Salmon(x 3),Grayling(x2).Arctic Char in small,fast-flowing streams(rod caught!)Whitefish out in deep water using drift nets.Salted in brine overnight to enhance flavour and prolong life.Grilled over birch twig fire.Filleted and de-scaled with Mora fire knife.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
25 July 2017, 07:09,
Difficult one to answer, most people like me born in the English countryside learnt to hunt & trap at an early age & gained more skill as we got older. I tend to agree with Mortblanc, these skills are not learnt from a book, & they are not learnt overnight. May I suggest that you start off by observing wildlife in its natural habitat, & see how close you can get to it. I can get close enough to touch wild game, but it takes time, skill & patience to learn.
Keith.
Do not try to understand them, and do not try to make them understand you; for they are a breed apart and make no sense. Natty Bumpo, Last Of The Mohicans.