Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faraday Cage Sleeves
23 February 2017, 14:12,
Faraday Cage Sleeves
Looking for a Faraday Cage Sleeve/bag for mobile phone. One that will block an EMP and a potential intrusive attack/tracking. These seem quite good but they are in the US so shipping costs apply and they are quite expensive.

https://silent-pocket.com/collections/fu...5228745668

Anyone know of any good ones I can get from a UK seller (direct or from ebay/amazon), preferably a bit cheaper, although if the price really does dictate the quality then I'm prepared to pay for it, and from the US if there is nothing up to a high enough standard in the UK.

I assume all the really cheap ones like this one below are useless??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocking-Wisdom...phone+case

Appreciate any advice, thanks.
23 February 2017, 16:34,
RE: Faraday Cage Sleeves
Just use an old metal biscuit tin, make sure there's a good seal and contact between the lid and base. Also line it with corrugated cardboard or similar to insulate the contents from the metal container.

To test if it works, put your mobile phone inside and call it, if the call fails to connect all is good, if the call connects it's not working!!
23 February 2017, 23:16,
Question???

If an EMP strikes and your phone is in a Faraday cage and the towers and everyone else's phone is knocked out,

who do you plan on calling?

Question #2. Who is supposed to call you and tell you to put your phone in the Faraday cage just before the attack?

Question #3 Are you going to carry that biscuit tin everywhere you go?
24 February 2017, 00:00,
Thanks guys, although I was also talking about criminals and general snoops using trackers. The bags in the web links are just like bigger phone covers and is what I was referring to, and which you can pop your phone into when you're out and about.
24 February 2017, 10:06,
I store radio equipment in biscuit tins as per Devonian's recommendation. Test of functionality is as per what he said too. For me this is long term storage.

I think you'd be better off trying to find a small metal tin that will take the phone you want to protect. Alternatively buy one of the cheapo bags, put a turne's on and network connected phone into it and try ringng it..... if it rings the bag is useless, if not, its doing its job.

I agree with MB though, if there was an EMP that would knock out your phone, it'd also kill the cell towers and most of the other mobile phones in the area. And most cars, televisions, network controlled utilities etc etc. In that situation, a still operational mobile handset would not be a valuable asset per se.

The only reason I'd keep phones in Faraday cages is if they are smartphones and I wanted to preserve their non-phone functions and memories
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

24 February 2017, 17:30,
I hold a load of stuff (including a small genny ) in a steel dust bin ....as for my mobile ....i,m Billy no mates no one loves me.....yes i know.............how incredible is that !
24 February 2017, 18:54,
MB, as LS suggests phones do a lot more than just make calls these days, they are in fact personal computers and can be used to store a lot of other information as well. Plus they may (??) still have GPS capabilities and I for example have a significant amount of OS mapping stored electronically on my phone which can still be used offline if the phone network and WiFi etc does goes down.

So for some of us there may be good reason for wanting to safely store such equipment........
24 February 2017, 18:55,
When I am "out and about" is when I want my phone to have best reception, not be hidden and impossible to use. Out and about is when plans change, met ups move location and people cancel at the last minute.

As for people tracking me/you ???

What for? Are you an agent of the government working under cover? A rich superstar traveling incognito?

Why would any criminal or snoop have interest in your trip to deal with errands, go to the grocer or visit kin?

No one cares what you do or who you talk too. You are not much of a concern to anyone.

I have often thought that anyone tracking me or recording my communications would be bored beyond tolerance, and if forced to track me for long would probably send me a sympathy card, then throw themselves off a bridge from boredom.

Besides, they do not need to track your phone, they can follow you on CCTV from the time you walk out your door until you return if you are in any built up area.
24 February 2017, 23:35,
You are very correct MB ....come visit the UK ...you would struggle to believe your eyes.
24 February 2017, 23:37,
P.s. if you fart in public over here.......a voice says excuse me.