Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Storm
22 March 2017, 23:54,
RE: Big Storm
Kentucky is one of those places like the UK where you can travel 30 miles in any direction and confront a different accent. I myself originated in the Middle Tennessee area 300 miles south and I have a much different accent that those that live locally. I share the Tennessee/Texas accent identical to former President GW Bush.

It is the accent which was shared by most of the settlers from North Carolina across Tennessee and Arkansaw then down into Texas as folks migrated across the southern states. Most were Welsh and Ustler Irish and the accent is slower and softer than that of the northern regions of the US.

The people further south in Mississippi and Alabama are more influenced by a combination of Scott/African and mumble uncontrollably.

The people in the area where I live speak a pidgin-English comprised of the immigrant accents of German, Polish and Scotch- Irish immigrants fresh off the boat in our early western frontier mixed with the common English accents from every corner of GB and the east cost of the US. They think it sounds fine but one of the problems with accents is that the speaker does not recognize that he has one.

I had a friend from GB (the midlands) come visit a few years back and we traveled extensively from the northern states into the south. While in Ohio and Indianian she required an interpreter, as we moved farther south to the KY/TN border she could converse with no problem and understood every sentence clearly.

I have decided to patch the roof on Friday if the weather holds. I was fortunate that I have a bit of roofing material left over from the last repair but I need a small bucket of tar to blend it all in. This roof is made from what we call rolled roofing. It is a thick composite tar paper with grit embedded on one side. It is tacked down with wide head nails and the tar smeared over the joint to waterproof it.

The roof is almost flat, having only two feet of pitch in the 8' span so I am not too concerned with rolling down the incline. I just need to mind my Ps and Qs while working near the edge, which is a full 16' above ground. I can access it from the front, which is only 10 feet up. I also need to watch the weight of what I carry up since I am still recovering from the last back procedure. I will pre-cut the patch before I go up and I will only need a small bucket of tar so I should be fine.

I also have a couple of lights to repair on the back porch, but that is not storm damage, just bad planning. I never dreamed that sparrows would take up residence atop the motors of ceiling fans. I had two on the back porch and I am replacing both with standard outdoor fixtures to eliminate the nesting birds going in and out of the porch.

Messages In This Thread
Big Storm - by Mortblanc - 3 March 2017, 18:48
RE: Big Storm - by Straight Shooter - 3 March 2017, 20:30
RE: Big Storm - by Mortblanc - 3 March 2017, 22:43
RE: Big Storm - by Straight Shooter - 3 March 2017, 23:15
RE: Big Storm - by Mortblanc - 22 March 2017, 07:48
RE: Big Storm - by Lightspeed - 22 March 2017, 11:19
RE: Big Storm - by Mortblanc - 23 March 2017, 06:19
RE: Big Storm - by Lightspeed - 23 March 2017, 10:49
RE: Big Storm - by Mortblanc - 22 March 2017, 23:54
RE: Big Storm - by CharlesHarris - 23 March 2017, 05:38
RE: Big Storm - by Mortblanc - 23 March 2017, 06:05