Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to hide more stuff
10 April 2017, 19:28,
RE: Time to hide more stuff
I am surprised you have waited this long to cache items! Are you sure 25 buckets is enough if Russia comes streaing down from the north?

One thing I have learned from use of caches is that you pack a complete assembly in each keg and not just one thing. You do not want to dig up a cache and find that you have 20L of corn meal or 20L of macaroni and nothing else.

Each keg pulled from the ground should have the items needed to process and cook the food including seasonings and spices and a pot or pan (it can be a cheap one from the pound shop). Each 20L keg should last two people for one week. If you have more people plan appropriately. Items should be carb heavy and protein rich. I would toss a cheap bottle of multivitamins into each bucket.

I would not bury whole grains in a cache. You would have to also bury a mill or grinder to process the grains.

The kegs work best when used with Mylar bags vacuum sealed. Most goods are safe to 25 years with that treatment.

As for how to bury them?? You have 2 acres and it is planting time. Dig all you want and plant potatoes/turnips/cabbage in the backfill and do not explain anything to anyone. You are just putting out another veggie patch, no matter how small or large or how bad the soil.

Messages In This Thread
Time to hide more stuff - by Straight Shooter - 10 April 2017, 12:01
RE: Time to hide more stuff - by Jonas - 10 April 2017, 18:11
RE: Time to hide more stuff - by Mortblanc - 10 April 2017, 19:28
RE: Time to hide more stuff - by Straight Shooter - 10 April 2017, 20:39
RE: Time to hide more stuff - by Mortblanc - 11 April 2017, 03:50
RE: Time to hide more stuff - by Mortblanc - 11 April 2017, 03:55
RE: Time to hide more stuff - by Straight Shooter - 11 April 2017, 09:06
RE: Time to hide more stuff - by Mortblanc - 12 April 2017, 04:25
RE: Time to hide more stuff - by Straight Shooter - 11 April 2017, 09:09
RE: Time to hide more stuff - by Straight Shooter - 12 April 2017, 09:01