Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book on actual survival food
8 June 2017, 22:01,
Book on actual survival food
Hey guys,

I've been checking amazon for a while now and I can't seem to find a proper book on survival food. There's lots out there on edible things in the outdoors, with recipes and such, or on what to store in your pantry in case of disaster.
But I am more looking for something that shows things that are edible in case you're say, lost in the woods or the like, where it's more about finding whatever is edible and will sustain you and not about taste or how pretty it looks on the dinner plate, whether that's worms or tasteless but edible plants or whatnot.

Does anyone know any books I can have a look at? Preferably something that's specifically about food and not an all round survival guide.
8 June 2017, 22:10,
RE: Book on actual survival food
(8 June 2017, 22:01)Carol Wrote: Hey guys,

I've been checking amazon for a while now and I can't seem to find a proper book on survival food... Does anyone know any books I can have a look at? Preferably something that's specifically about food and not an all round survival guide.

http://www.natural-pathways.co.uk/book-w...d-bc-5.php

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
8 June 2017, 22:13,
I actually own one of these (collins gem - food for free) and even though it's a good book the emphasis is on the food tasting nice or being a nice addition to existing dishes and it has little to do with emergency survival.
8 June 2017, 23:30,
I have some SAS survival books (pocket size ) Carol ....good guide and encompasses a fair old bit (in one book) food for free you have...take a look through the files on here loads of stuff and well worth your time.
8 June 2017, 23:32,
Harry we have a damsel in distress ...pull your bloody finger out !
9 June 2017, 10:57,
Hi Carol and welcome to the forum.
If your lost in the woods,you can survive without food for approximately 3 weeks,but you do require water within 3 days.
Most of the books on foraging are fine just go for those plants, shrubs and trees you easily recognise and eat them,most will probably be more digestible if boiled first.
A some are fairly bitter the boiling will remove some at least of the bitterness.
Things like nettles have their sting removed by boiling,and become more palatable,besides being a good source of vitamins,the nettle water can cure nettle rash as well,besides being helpful with burns.
9 June 2017, 14:37,
You need fat / protein to survive, so Carol, learn to fish, learn to snare, get a good air rifle too. You need to find and trap animals, you'll starve to death relying on eating 'greens' in the woods.
ATB
Harry
9 June 2017, 18:52,
You're right of course. That's why I find it so odd that no survival food guide I ever read has a section on bugs and such, usually the best you get is fish and game. Sure they're icky but I'd probably rather eat that slimy maggot than starve. Provided I knew it wasn't poisonous. And nowhere does it ever mention that all snakes are edible even though that would be a rather valuable information to have.
I'll have a look at the SAS survival guide, been wanting to buy that anyway. Thanks guys!
9 June 2017, 19:08,
Carol. Google is your friend. There are hundreds of books out there - just type in what you want to know and hit search. I am assuming that you live in the UK..? -- well, there are not many poisonous insects that you are likely to tangle with here. There are a few that will bite or sting you, and they are probably worth avoiding, but by and large, a lot of the stuff you can catch, trap or pick can be edible. I would advise you to take a course in mushroom/toadstool identification - one wrong bite there and you could be in trouble - and there are well-known poisonous plants to avoid, but they are easy to track down and very easy to remember. Good luck.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
9 June 2017, 21:40,
Mary, whats the typical food value of mushrooms? Its nothing, Carol needs to learn on how to kill rabbits et al https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning You need fat in the diet
ATB
Harry