Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you really worry about...if anything ?
29 September 2017, 20:42,
RE: What do you really worry about...if anything ?
Actual real life worry?

Not total fall of this, or complete failure of that, everyone dies but me and you and you don't look so good, or it happened once 260 million year ago and could happen again tomorrow?

I have pretty much gotten over that after all these years. More chance of an asteroid strike than most of that crap. We could not even get a good Ebola epidemic past the disease control people that last go round. And the young people seem too absorbed by their video games to create a revolution and over throw anything.

Even terrorist attacks can not sustain a good armed police presence for more than 48 hours before the whining over excess begins.

I have two real concerns and I am in continuous prep mode because they happen to me on a regular basis.

Tornadoes/severe wind storms and winter power outages.

I have never had to survive the end of the world, I have never had to survive a complete financial collapse, I have never seen the "golden horde" roaming the countryside, civil war, political collapse or complete breakdown of the social order. Not here at home anyway. Neither have you in England.

If any of those things happened and the problem was not resolved within a few weeks/months I would be dead due to medical complications anyway, so there is no need for me to have any illusions that I could survive a world changing event.

Perhaps there are places where a total and complete disaster can wipe out civilization as we know it and never have it return to that area, but I do not live in one of those places. Neither do you.

In the past 60 days I have seen two areas the size of England severely damaged or nearly destroyed, and an Island the size of Wales flattened to the ground, and before the event even ended there was aid waiting to enter the areas and begin the rebuilding process. Most of that aid was from private sources and not government. It is one of the advantages of being big, having a strong national identity and a culture of helping others when trouble happens.

I do have to deal personally and immediately with electrical power outages due to wind storms in spring/fall, and due to ice taking miles of electric lines down in winter. I have short outages every few weeks and I have had outages of over 48 hours every year or two throughout my life. Some outages have been up to two weeks duration.

It is difficult to understand in England but over here our storms kill people, sometimes lots of people. People are blown away, never to be seen again, killed by flying debris, or they freeze to death in their homes in winter due to lack of preps or thought.

I have already spent the past week in the annual gathering of winter supplies, filling all the propane tanks, making sure the Coleman lanterns have good mantles and spares are available, knowing the exact location of the emergency heaters and cook-stoves and having the wool blankets cleaned and stacked for use.

These activities are basically done so I do not have to impose on friends and relatives by invading their homes, or going to a motel outside my area every time something goes wrong. I can stay in my own little habitat and tough out the problem.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you really worry about...if anything ? - by Mortblanc - 29 September 2017, 20:42