Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One for MB , Vics vapour rub
16 February 2018, 23:19,
One for MB , Vics vapour rub
Looking on Youtube the other week and came across Dieseling ....now i have two air rifles .22 .....in the video this guy used Vics vapour rub as a propellant .....taking some vics and smearing some on the skirt of the pellet .....the results were remarkable increased velocity and showed more penetration to a metal target ...in fact the slug went right through the target, however he stated prolonged use could do damage to your spring and seals , but would there be a case for this method for the prepper ? my guns are spring and gas......now i know MB has the real deal along with proper bullets ......so what is the score using this method....any good for us boy scouts over here......and would we be within the law....heaven forbid breaking the law....golly that would not do at all!.....anyone know anything ?
17 February 2018, 05:56,
RE: One for MB , Vics vapour rub
SS your restrictions are on the energy produced by the rifle no matter how that energy is obtained. Increasing velocity over that required to reach your 12 pound threshold, no matter how it is done, puts you in illegal territory.

I do not know if the use of Vicks works or not. All the hocus-pokus I have ever dealt with along these lines involved special mixtures of lube for muzzle loading rifles. Some people claim that lubes used to patch the ML balls are speeded up or slowed by lube. It never made any real difference that I could tell across the chronograph and I tested everything from spit to some serious blends of crap, one of which was officially known as "Moose Snot" and made from lanolin, Murphy oil soap, bees wax, and turpentine.

However I doubt that Vicks will do any real damage to your seals or your spring since we have many of the same models over here but they are equipped with a spring to propel a .177 pellet to 1000fps and hold up for years.

My own serious air rifle is a Beeman, probably made in China or Turkey, I am not sure. It is a .22 and lobs the pellet out at nearly 900fps. I seldom use is since it is heavier than a 105 howitzer.

Most of its reason for existence is a comical continuing drama where I shoot close to the neighborhood feral cats as they hunt in the field and they scoot for cover when they hear the pellets land in the grass nearby. Apparently they come pretty close at 100 yards or so since the cats take notice of them landing.

I have often thought that if I was not going to get an FAC, and I was restricted to your air guns and your laws, I would have an American made full power spring for my rifle hidden in a PVC tube and hidden in a garden planter.
17 February 2018, 06:11,
BTW, as a kid I had a simple test to determine if my BB and pellet rifles were strong enough to kill birds up to about pigeon size.

If the BB would penetrate the side of a bean can it would kill a bird. It did not have to go all the way through both sides, just one.

If it would go through both sides it would kill a squirrel.

I latter discovered that the heavier sides of a 5 gallon metal paint bucket was a good test of rabbit killing capabilities. I had to step up to pneumatic pump up rifles in .22 to get through the bigger cans and kill rabbits.

That is not a real scientific analysis but I found it to be consistently true.

When the weather turns this spring I might just go out back and spend an afternoon testing all the BB guns and air rifles over the chrono.
17 February 2018, 16:39,
IMHO not much use in the real world as its an inaccurate science , no consistency from shot to shot so you would never be able to zero the sights , plus you're technically breaking the law every time you successfully get a combustion , I should expect it will increase wear and hasten a f ailiure as there has to be a large pressure spike way in excess of the design pressure , just a gimmick.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
17 February 2018, 18:16,
Been thinking about this from the engineering angle.

Air guns are built in several ways and there will not be a common and unifying answer to the problem of possible damage to the gun.

At this point I started getting a headache and realized I was thinking about air guns.

At that point I decided the process was not worth a headache, poured a bourbon, drank it down and went to bed.

Apparently the condition was temporary and I was over it when I woke.
17 February 2018, 20:11,
Great well thought out logic MB .....i am f..king well impressed....what a guy ...lol
17 February 2018, 23:23, (This post was last modified: 17 February 2018, 23:23 by Lightspeed.)
As per Midnite.

The problem with dieseling is that the extra power is not consistent and is offset by resulting inaccuracy.

Have you notice that the first half dozen shots after oiling the barrel tend to go astray? That's dieseling.

On one of my .177 rifles, there is a marked increase in retort if it diesels. That rifle's already well over 1000 fps, so the extra power may be spitting out at supersonic speed and the extra noise is a sonic crack (speed of sound is approx. 1125 fps)

(17 February 2018, 16:39)Midnitemo Wrote: IMHO not much use in the real world as its an inaccurate science , no consistency from shot to shot so you would never be able to zero the sights , plus you're technically breaking the law every time you successfully get a combustion , I should expect it will increase wear and hasten a f ailiure as there has to be a large pressure spike way in excess of the design pressure , just a gimmick.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

18 February 2018, 09:35,
the only use I can think for it is humane dispatch...caught something in a trap it's likely to injure you if you try and handle it whilst alive and you need a little extra power at point blank range to be sure of a clean kill.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
19 February 2018, 06:42,
(17 February 2018, 23:23)Lightspeed Wrote: As per Midnite.

The problem with dieseling is that the extra power is not consistent and is offset by resulting inaccuracy.

Have you notice that the first half dozen shots after oiling the barrel tend to go astray? That's dieseling.

On one of my .177 rifles, there is a marked increase in retort if it diesels. That rifle's already well over 1000 fps, so the extra power may be spitting out at supersonic speed and the extra noise is a sonic crack (speed of sound is approx. 1125 fps)

(17 February 2018, 16:39)Midnitemo Wrote: IMHO not much use in the real world as its an inaccurate science , no consistency from shot to shot so you would never be able to zero the sights , plus you're technically breaking the law every time you successfully get a combustion , I should expect it will increase wear and hasten a f ailiure as there has to be a large pressure spike way in excess of the design pressure , just a gimmick.

LS if you are using the standard 8 grain pellet it better not be going more than 820fps or you are into the FAC required area past 12 pounds power.

But you are correct on the dieseling thing. It is totally uncontrollable and erratic.

I would think that dispatching trapped critters would be more efficient using other methods. A good stout stick comes to mind.

Did it ever occur to any of you that the law only allows you to have these 12 pound guns because they are useless?
19 February 2018, 13:09,
(19 February 2018, 06:42)Mortblanc Wrote:
(17 February 2018, 23:23)Lightspeed Wrote: As per Midnite.

LS if you are using the standard 8 grain pellet it better not be going more than 820fps or you are into the FAC required area past 12 pounds power.

But you are correct on the dieseling thing. It is totally uncontrollable and erratic.

I would think that dispatching trapped critters would be more efficient using other methods. A good stout stick comes to mind.

Did it ever occur to any of you that the law only allows you to have these 12 pound guns because they are useless?

Well spotted MB, and you are right. Several of my pneumatic rifles are in FAC territory.

The .177s work best sub-sonic where the pellets fly truer in my experience.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580