Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1mk3* SMLE
23 February 2018, 21:56,
#1mk3* SMLE
I have two of these beasts and both have the same problem, though I don't know why.

They keyhole every round at 25 yards, no matter what the ammunition type.

One of them is pretty shot out so I do not wonder that it has issues, but the other has good rifling, a good crown and should shoot like a champ. I have owned several rifles in the past with worse barrels and they shot great.

Another issue they both share is they split case moths after only two reloadings of the brass, so I am suspecting both have headspaceing problems, thought I do not have proper gauges and do not intend to get them since I will never be a real Enfield mechanic.

I picked these rifles up for practically nothing many years ago and do not intend to acquire any more.

It is a pity, since I love the Enfield action and cartridge.

Speaking of which, the original loading of the .303 was a compressed black powder charge topped with a 215 grain round nosed bullet giving 2000fps. That would be a fine survival load if one ever had to brew up their own powder and bullets. And if you could find an Enfield with a good barrel to shoot them!
24 February 2018, 02:04,
RE: #1mk3* SMLE
I don't know about replacement barrels for the No.1 Mk3, but I have a new Criterion barrel on my No.4 which is splendid and accurate. http://criterionbarrels.com/lee-enfield-no4

I have .303 headspace gages in the shop, I will root around and find them.

If I am lucky in doing so, I'd be happy to send and loan them to you.

It is feasible to correct headspace on the No.1 by soldering a shim onto the boltface, although a correct replacement bolthead is preferred. I have an assortment of boltheads for the No.4, but none, unfortunately for the No.1.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA