Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's in there somewhere
3 March 2018, 17:52,
It's in there somewhere
I had auto trouble this week.

I got in the Ford to go to the bank and half way there the battery light came on. I stopped at the bank and intended to get to the auto parts store for a check of the light and when I exited the bank the vehicle would not start.

I had to call "the guy" and he brought out a new battery, which the test meter said was needed.

We installed the new battery for about 100 pounds your money and I was on my way.

Five miles down the road the light came back on. Obviously the alternator is out. It could be the regulator but since both come in the same bundle it is all the same.

I have replaced a hundred of so alternators down through the years so how much trouble could this be. Three bolts, unsnap a wiring harness and its done, correct?

Not any more!

I pulled the You-tube of the repair. To remove the alternator one must remove the right front wheel, brake, axle shaft, two body panels, take the alternator from its ventilation system case while still in the tangle of the vehicle and worm the unit out of a small access panel. Then do the new one back in by the same route in reverse.

It took a skilled technician, who had a lift, the proper tools, and knew the job, 3 hours to replace the unit.

I am now scheduled for the repair on Tuesday. The estimate of 300 pounds your money plus whatever else they find falling to pieces in a vehicle with 140k miles on the clock.

No choice. It has been a good vehicle and it is not going anywhere without the repair, so "just do it".

Besides, it is paid for, and this repair cost is about what I would pay to drive a newly purchased vehicle per-month on a 60-70 month finance.

Messages In This Thread
It's in there somewhere - by Mortblanc - 3 March 2018, 17:52
RE: It's in there somewhere - by Pete Grey - 3 March 2018, 20:37
RE: It's in there somewhere - by CharlesHarris - 3 March 2018, 21:31
RE: It's in there somewhere - by LAC - 3 March 2018, 22:03
RE: It's in there somewhere - by Pete Grey - 4 March 2018, 00:36
RE: It's in there somewhere - by LAC - 4 March 2018, 17:54
RE: It's in there somewhere - by Pete Grey - 7 March 2018, 01:23
RE: It's in there somewhere - by LAC - 9 March 2018, 00:11
RE: It's in there somewhere - by Mortblanc - 4 March 2018, 22:44
RE: It's in there somewhere - by Pete Grey - 10 March 2018, 17:15