Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iran
23 January 2012, 13:11,
Iran
After oil sanctions are imposed on Iran in February 2012, Iran move to block the Straight of Hormuz.
Retalliation is decisive, with the USA, UK & France engaging in a full scale land invasion and sustained bombing. Iran attack Israel in retaliation, bringing them into the fight. China and Russia are not directly involved yet - but they're waiting on the sidelines, possibily looking for the right time to make their move.

Oil prices skyrocket, inflating fuel prices astronomically. Food prices also increase by ridiculous amount.

You can't afford to get to travel due to the cost of fuel. Even if you could afford it, there's only 1 out of 5 fuel stations that have any, and their reserves are primarily saved for emergency services.

Unrest is growing here in the UK, no rioting as of yet, but things are brewing.

Please discuss your opinions of how things will pan out, and the actions you will take to ensure that you and yours get through this difficult period safely.
23 January 2012, 14:29,
RE: Iran
That's a brilliant scenario! Highly possible as well.

I'm going to see this scenario escalate into something much more than we expected. I think people would turn round and think America were throwing their weight around too much. First Afghanistan, then Iraq, next Iran. How many countries in the EU would have to get invaded before the UK helped out? So this is what I think would happen.

There would be hysteria. People in the UK would panic buy and everyone would be out of fuel in a couple of days at the most. Same goes for supermarkets. Camping stores might be worth a visit as they'd probably still hold stock or MRE's and water storage.

Next up the police would be called in to stop the inevitable rioting that would occur as a result of the cost of everything and the lack of anything. Someone would be brutally assulted, or killed, in the riots, and then all hell would break loose. That is when it would get scarey. But on an up-note, pertol would have ran out, and there wouldn't be a huge chance of petrol bombs being thrown.

People would ruin their own cities, which would cause many living in the cities to leave. Unfortunately there wouldn't be much space for people to travel to. The country side isn't stocked up with empty houses. So they would probably end up going to camping sites of something like that.

People wouldn't think ahead far enough. Those that ran the water systems or the electricity/gas system that we are plugged into would be the deciders of our end fate. The best I can give is that I would secure my family (if I was one of those people running the grid) and go and set everything on auto-pilot (if it existed) then I would get up and go. We can but hope that they would do the same.

First thing I personally would do, fill up on fuel (thank you company I work for) then get a few jerry cans filled up as well (it's a generous company), and then go to work. I don't think it would effect our industry too much to start with (until the rioting started). After a few weeks we would be hit much harder, and the rioting would have set in. We carry 2 weeks of stock, so after that it would be a big crunch.

As for food, with it being so late in the month with little time to prepare, I'd get that Foraging book back out, and get on the trails.

The internet would still be running, so that would be a major help. It would be time to start printing off every useful PDF in duplicates! Slap out the laminator as well. Time to visit a garden centre (maybe to loot, if it's closed) and get me some gardening tools, water storage systems, possible solar lights and stuff like that, loads of plant seeds, and maybe a gnome to keep watch. Oh yes their fridges and freezers would get a good bit of looting too.

Next up would be a trip to a hardware store! Open preferable, closed would be cheaper though. Loot around and get more security stuff, wire/bold cutters, chain links, that kind of thing. I'd look for a little solar and slap up some car batteries too.

After that MAPLINS!!! Finish my solar power, get more LED's, security cameras, and loads of stuff like that.

Then it's a case of getting home and loading everything into the house.

The next few days would consist of setting everything up and securing the house. Once that is sorted, because we have not had our Bristol Pub Meet, I would have to group some neighbours together and have a word and see if they are okay. If they are okay, then bring them round into the newly converted Compound haha.

Once that was sorted, it would be a case of starting planting the seeds getting ready for summer. Also, set up the systems in the house, like solar power, water/rain collection systems, and get to chopping trees for cooking and all that.

Then we would end up sat infront of the TV watching TEOTWAWKI.
23 January 2012, 15:15,
(23 January 2012, 14:29)Scythe13 Wrote: But on an up-note, pertol would have ran out, and there wouldn't be a huge chance of petrol bombs being thrown.

Slightly off topic - but as soon as the riots started last year the petrol station next to my office stopped all filling of petrol / jerry cans. This was apparently to stop people being able to make petrol bombs. Not sure what they expected you to do if you actually ran out of fuel though...
23 January 2012, 15:18,
(23 January 2012, 15:15)00111001 Wrote: Slightly off topic - but as soon as the riots started last year the petrol station next to my office stopped all filling of petrol / jerry cans. This was apparently to stop people being able to make petrol bombs. Not sure what they expected you to do if you actually ran out of fuel though...

That's not something I've actually thought about. I'll be filling up those cans pretty sharpish then. After payday! haha
23 January 2012, 15:35,
Your plan of action is very similar to mine actually. I'm pretty lucky (if you want to call it that) that I live in a flat above a farm shop, in a secure compound that also is a haulage yard and caravan storage. There's 4 people who live on site permanently (not including us) and two are Serbian ex military, one's a sparky and the other a builder. I know for a fact one of them has a half decent air rifle and another fire-arm (cause he got pissed an showed me) and who knows what the Serbian lads have bought over a souveneers! there's a couple of those little yappy dogs and one big scary f'kn dog.

The site's full of gear, rolls of barbed wire, fencing, old diesel tractors that were made in the 50's. It's like the A-Teams wet dream.

Then there's the farm shop downstairs - that's full of meat in the freezer, and drinks, preserves, pickles etc.

Shame the flat is horrible and the landlord is a twat...
23 January 2012, 16:08,
I'm not exactly what else would be doable.

I am half waiting for someone to call me, or for my boss to come in and say "We are at war!" If the Iran thing escilates, that could happen.

One thing I won't be doing.....signing up.
23 January 2012, 16:58,
(23 January 2012, 16:08)Scythe13 Wrote: One thing I won't be doing.....signing up.

Dunno - could sign up, grab a load of gear the foxtrot oscar, sharpish.
If only it were that easy Wink